Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Starting at Juniper Canyon

• 3 Replies

Offline WNdx

• Kangaroo Rat
Starting at Juniper Canyon
« on: November 21, 2018, 04:35:23 PM »
Hello again all...

I am starting some very early prep for a second OML attempt in late February. Since my first trip I've acquired some sturdy wheels that could get me to Juniper Canyon trailhead, and I'm keen on adding a dash of adventure driving to my plans this time.

I will be very much appreciative of any OML vets who can list off some pros and cons of starting there,  what to know about going clockwise or counter clockwise, and which campsites would be best to focus on for planning purposes given each direction.

Sorry if this stuff is already widely apparent in the forum...I took a look around and decided it would be best to ask anew. Thanks.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: Starting at Juniper Canyon
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
Although there seems to be only one OML there are, in fact, several.  The several OMLs are different due to different starting places, different loops added or subtracted, and different directions taken.

My purely subjective preference is to start at the Juniper/Dodson trailhead, proceed in the traditional clockwise direction, and add the loop up around the Rim while deleting the down into the Basin as per the following.

• Begin the at Juniper/Dodson trailhead.
    Go to Homer Wilson (first night).
    Go up the Blue Creek wall and (instead of going down Laguna Meadows) keep going up to the Rim (second night).
    Take Boot Canyon down from the Rim, and take Juniper Canyon back to the starting point.

To me, this is much more of a wilderness experience since you are not "interrupted" by the civilization in the Basin.  Plus, you get the Rim which is not part of a traditional OML.

An alternative that gets you to water is to go directly to the Boot canyon camp area from Homer Wilson - that gets you to the pipe there.

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Although there seems to be only one OML there are, in fact, several.  The several OMLs are different due to different starting places, different loops added or subtracted, and different directions taken.

To me, this is much more of a wilderness experience since you are not "interrupted" by the civilization in the Basin.  Plus, you get the Rim which is not part of a traditional OML.

+1 to this especially the more wilderness experience.  I would deviate and argue for a counter clockwise.  The climb up Juniper while just slightly longer and higher is on much better trail tread and depending on the time of day, in the shade.  Much easier down Blue Creek and then the easy water cache at Homer Wilson.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »

I'm itching to get back to the Bend.  I'll take you up on this great idea!!!!!!!!

+1 to this especially the more wilderness experience.  I would deviate and argue for a counter clockwise.  The climb up Juniper while just slightly longer and higher is on much better trail tread and depending on the time of day, in the shade.  Much easier down Blue Creek and then the easy water cache at Homer Wilson.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!