Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Water Assistance? (2/20 - 2/24)

• 1 Replies

Offline BBC1443

• Kangaroo Rat
Water Assistance? (2/20 - 2/24)
« on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »
Hi Big Bend Chat!

My friend and I are planning to hike the OML next weekend (2/20-2/24) and it's the first big trip we are planning on our own (and with all your guidance of course :icon_biggrin:). We are trying to keep our packs light and are hoping that caching water will help ease our burden. Ideally we'd love to cache at Juniper Canyon but do not have access to a high clearance vehicle, so we were wondering if anyone would be interested in a water caching trade. Is anyone planning to cache at the Juniper Canyon location and if so, would you be willing/able to cache water for us as well? We are definitely planning to cache water at Homer Wilson and would be willing to cache water there for you too!

We will be caching at HW on Thursday, 2/20, and will be hiking the Juniper Canyon trail on Saturday, 2/22. If this works for you and you're interested in setting something up, please let me know! Thanks!

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
Re: Water Assistance? (2/20 - 2/24)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:19:43 PM »
Hello and welcome.

Which direction are you hiking, clockwise or counterclockwise? If you go clockwise you will not need to cache at Juniper Canyon. You can get water at Boot Spring or Boot Canyon or Upper Juniper Spring, which will get you to Fresno Creek, which always has water.

You will need to cache at Homer Wilson.

Check the water reports here to see the water situation at Boot Spring/Canyon and Upper Juniper Spring. The last I checked there was water at all three.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!