Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

A fence through Big Bend?

• 4 Replies

Offline 10ftTall&BulletPrf

• Black Bear
A fence through Big Bend?
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
I just heard on CNN that the proposal to construct a fence along the border has a provision in it to waive environmental impact issues from it's construction.

:?: Does this mean that we could have a fence running through Big Bend and Organ Pipe Cactus Natl Monument(AZ)?  :shock:

Will we lose a view of the Rio Grande all together? No more Hot Springs?  :cry:

:idea: Do we need to start doing some grassroots lobbying to our reps and senators to make sure?

:?: Does anyone have more detailed info on this proposal and its impact on Big Bend?
"You may all go to work and I will go to Big Bend" - If Davy Crockett were alive today.

SHANEA

A Long Time
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
There has been discussions and debates for as long as I can remember about building a fence to keep the Mexican people out or the Americans in, which ever the case might be.  The simple fact is, a mere fence won't keep people out, make it more difficult perhaps, but it certainly won't "solve" the problem.  Fences can be cut and scaled - just ask the East Germans.  I guess if we put a "kill zone" into effect with guard towers, landmines, etc. it might be more effective. (NOT, repeat NOT that I am advocating such a thing - cause I'm not!)   Yes, a grass roots effort is probably in order once things get rolling.  Personally, I think there is a better chance of "success" in preventing something like this through an established organization with the infrastructure in place.  I just can't picture how this would look - probably much like the La Linda bridge - and from what I understand, that does not keep people from crossing.  Of course, why go to that effort when you can almost basically walk across.     All images resized as SMALL.

SHANEA

John or Clint...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:06:50 PM »
Everytime I see the La Linda church I always expect John Wayne or Clint Eastwood to come riding up.  Now that would have been an interesting movie with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood...

SHANEA

Can't You Hear...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »
The music of the Good, the Bad, and The Ugly just by looking at that picture?

SHANEA

Or
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:08:14 PM »
Or mabye the music of the Comencharos...

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!