Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend park surpasses visitor record

• 41 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Hmmm
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »
http://translate.google.com/ says
Vista del Dumpster de la Basura
or maybe
Vista del Envase de la Basura

P.S.  I forget, what was this topic about?  We're up to page three on it...

SHANEA

Yea, But
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »
Yea, But, Isn't it great to be up to page 3 on something rather than checking to see if the old DOA board is up and running?  Here Here.  Three Cheers!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   8)  8)  8)

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
I hiked up the Mesa Anguilla from the Dam Tinaja (Airport) side.  I had to call the resort well ahead of time to make sure that someone would be at the airport when I came/went so that the gate would be open and I would not be locked in.   Before they built the "new" airport in this location there was an old trailhead leading up onto the Mesa and a trail that led to a old dam and rockshelter, than up to Tinaja Lujan in the Upper Bruja valley and onto the main part of the Mesa to connect with other trails.  Unfortunately the trailhead and the trail itself are now mostly obliterated by bulldozed roads and lack of use.   Now that the park and Lajitas have reached agreement about the road diversion project maybe they can reach some agreement about the trailhead to Dam Tinaja and re-cairn the trail.  Last time I was in Lajitas ~3 years ago I was shocked to find the old trading post where Clay Henry lives turned into a gourmet-type store complete with $50 wine bottles but no customers.  It seemed like employee's outnumbered visitors 3:1 in Lajitas which is never a good sign.   Its too isolated, too hot, too barren, and too depopulated to attract the big money jet setter types that have lots of different choices where they fly too.   I think its only a matter of time before its re-sold.. but then I never thought Marfa would take off either... TWWG

SHANEA

For Sale?
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »
Oh, I doubt that it would be for sale or sold - more like bankruptcy!  I'd hate to be a land owner out there with a big ole house, etc. when all of a sudden the rug gets pulled out and then all of a sudden no water, etc.   At some point in time you have to cut your losses and stop the bleeding.  We talked to the rangers @ Warnrock when we passed through this last time and regarding the road project, well, it appears there have been some problems and it's not going anywhere fast.  From what I've read on the net, Mr. Smith hasn't turned over the land or paid the $$$ to divert the road.  I mean, the state wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't foot the bill for diverting the road around it so that it can become a private road???  You know, I'd think you'd want it to be a public road so it would draw in more folks for that $50 wine.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Lajitas road diversion
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 08:44:14 PM »
I thought the road diversion would only have the road moving just enough so that it went around the motels, etc instead of between them?  How long Lajitas stays in business depends on how much cash Mr. Smith has stored up.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Golden Opportunity
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 06:57:46 AM »
Lajitas has a golden opportunity now to establish some good trailheads up onto the Mesa and use it as a tourist attraction to draw people away from the main body of the Park and into Lajitas.   When last I visited the main trailhead from Lajitas was behind a golf cart building and not in a very good spot.  It had no obvious parking area and I had to ask several employee's where it was before I found one that actually knew it existed.  Seems like they could use it to their advantage but maybe they don't want the backpacker crowds (cheap bastards that we are) ruining things for the ultra-rich private plane golfer types.  Trouble is the ultra-rich aren't coming to Lajitas now anyway and certainly aren't rushing in to buy expensive properties.   I remember the old days when mexicans would bring their burros across and tie them up at the trading post and just watch the touristas feed beer to the mayor... TWWG

chisos_muse

Shattered Dreams?
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »
Yes I have visited Lajitas on several occasions, and have spoken to many peeps employed there. Basically they try to paint a pretty picture to try and suck you in....TRY being the key word. With all the $ Smith has spent so far, they still lack what is most important to a succesful resort.....staff and service! I mean, if he's trying to make it a 5 star property, you need to tend to all the details to make your guests comfortable. If they have a corporate group in, the regular guests get no attention and they will close restaurants and such. Trip Advisor is a great website for unbiased opinions from guests and most of the reviews there say it all. They have plans to build another golf course, spa, pool, etc...but will be for their members only! And the real estate? They pulled in some guy and his wife from Scottsdale AZ to run that and the husband has already left and now the wife is doing it. I looked at the property and some spec homes one time and the prices are outrageous! It is NOT Scottsdale and all the homes built so far are rich friends of Smith's. Oh one way they prolly save $ is to pay their staff pennies....the gentleman who was in charge of the real estate a few years ago lived in chaffa housing there.....my apartment in SA is nicer! Only the top dawgs get a nice salary...and the only one who has been there since 2002 is the president, his new wife and select few. One other thing....while I was there I did NOT see "Joe Landez deadbeat father!" :roll:

Offline Chris43

• Jack Rabbit
    • http://www.woodedge.co.uk/index.htm
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »
The latest annual total of 410,000 is 1123 each and every day. Allow 3 persons per vehicle, and you get 370 vehicles in the park at any one time. All I can say is that Iím very glad on the times I have been to the Park have clearly been low season!

It must be the Chilli stuff hat brings them in, let me have the open spaces!
Chris
Amersham UK

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 02:29:19 PM »
Quote from: "Chris43"
...let me have the open spaces!

here here!

I would be interested to know the exact ratio of visitors/cars throughout the year....i would be willing to bet that half of those visitors are the 3 hell weeks in march and the couple of hell weeks during the holidays....

Offline dave2

• Diamondback
    • http://www.descant.tcu.edu
The Smith Resort
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 09:38:33 AM »
It's been a few years since this happened, but last time I stayed in the Smith Resort (just after he bought it) we checked into our $150 a night room only to discover that there was NO WATER at all in any of the rooms. Of course, front desk knew this but didn't tell us! Naturally, we demanded and got our money back.  I'll never stay there again although I might try hiking in the area.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »
Quote from: "David Locke"
well, let's see....Big Bend Operating Costs are about  5 million dollars per year. There are 65 members of the board....

hm.....well, that's a mere $77,000 per person for membership! not too bad ;)

Well, membership is up to 88, so now it's more affordable. A mere $58,800 per person. Where do I send my check? :D

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
yes, that's more within my budget!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!