Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mesa de Anguila

• 31 Replies

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mesa de Anguila
« on: March 06, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
there was trip report i read here a while ago, but i can't find it for the life of me. maybe it was just my imagination  :oops: It was a report of a an ascent onto the mesa from terlingua abaja, up the narrow steep canyon. anyone know what i'm talking about?

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »
yes, i've read it, but i think it was on the "other  board" from several months ago, no?

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:49:47 PM »
i hadn't found this place by that time, and i remember in was posted on a board with this format :(

i must be crazy :o google hasn't turned up anything either, but i can't recall the canyon name either

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:28 PM »
okay, the canyon is called Bruja Canyon. that helped me find more info, but not that trip report :( there were pictures of scaling the walls, where to climb, etc.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »
that would be a nice find....from what i remember there is a rope ladder for scaling a section of a cliff. And if i remember correctly, the author seemed to discourage this way of getting up the mesa....sounds like fun though  :twisted:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Bruja Canyon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:00:01 PM »
Google found this article on it:
Rough Guides Travel:  Bruja Canyon
and Rough Guides Travel: Mesa de Anguilla via Bruja Canyon

There are several other articles on Big Bend there as well:
Rough Guides Travel: The Unknown National Park

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
Mesa Trails
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
The report you saw was probably by The Wild West Guy;  he posted a couple of extensive trip reports about the Mesa.  I've done some day hikes around the edges; access to the Mesa is best from the Lajitas area; the Mesa top via Bruja Canyon is a techincal climb and not recommended for a solo hiker.  Outward Bound groups occasionally use this route, I think.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Re: Mesa Trails
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »
Quote from: "Roy"
The report you saw was probably by The Wild West Guy;  he posted a couple of extensive trip reports about the Mesa.  I've done some day hikes around the edges; access to the Mesa is best from the Lajitas area; the Mesa top via Bruja Canyon is a techincal climb and not recommended for a solo hiker.  Outward Bound groups occasionally use this route, I think.

i've read his and thought it was that, but it was female that did the report  :shock:   :oops:  

i was mainly looking for the pictures with routes drawn, those are so very helpful when doing technical routes

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Mesa Trails
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:07:18 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"
i was mainly looking for the pictures with routes drawn, those are so very helpful when doing technical routes

Like the one linked on the Rough Guides:  Mesa de Anguila via Bruja Canyon site?

http://www.igougo.com/photos/journal_photos/brujaroute.jpg

Image replaced with link cuz it was just too wide for this forum...

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:10:02 PM »
yeah, i just got to that picture via your other thread, thanks for the link  8) if a group of my friends end up going to BB for SB, i'm going to hitch a ride to the Santa Elena parking lot and hike around the mesa  :evil:

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Mesa and Bruja Canyon
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
I did post a bit about my hikes on the Mesa de Anguilla.  I have been up there twice not counting one failed attempt from the Bruja Canyon route.  The Bruja Canyon route is fairly easy until you get about 1/2 way up the canyon and start coming to some small ledges and this is where I turned around (being solo and all).  There was a metal ladder under a boulder that looks like it was originally bolted to the rock to provide easy access up and over the 5-7' ledge.   The main climb described in the posts above is at the headwall of the canyon.  I have been above this headwall where there are lots of large rock tinaja's but I came in from the Mesa side.  I don't recommend trying to climb this headwall as a solo hiker - if you fall even a minor injury might prove fatal as nobody will be able to see you or get you out very easily from either above or below.  I have been to Dam Tinaja, Tinaja Grande, Tinaja Susan, Tinaja Lujan, and the Point above Santa Helena canyon all of these accessed by the Lajitas and/or airport trailheads.  It has been dry for a long time though so I would not count on any of the tinajas on the Mesa holding water right now.   I can give you more details is you need it. .. TWWG

SHANEA

Loss of Access to This Area???????
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »
The new edition of the"Big Bend Sierran" is out on the racks and has an article regarding the possible loss to Mesa de Anguila if FM 170 is rerouted around Lajitas and Lajitas becomes a closed and gated community.  

Don't think it can't happen?  Some kind of a scare tactic?  Hardly.  Big Bend Ranch State park has many areas that are inaccessible due to lack of access, especially the area that John Poindexter wants.  Also, Chinanti State Natural Area is land locked and there is no public access to it at this time.   Remember, the big and the strong make all the rules - remember that next time you are cruising down the interstate and that big 18 wheeler is on your bumper!   :lol:

http://www.texas.sierraclub.org/bigbend/Issue95.pdf

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 11:38:18 PM »
rerouting and existing highway is a GREAT use of state money  :roll: especially one that is already being repaved  :roll: good lord, i hope that motion succeeds as well as the whole lajitas resort idea  :x

SHANEA

At It's Best...
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 12:04:17 AM »
Politics at it's best.  Spending tons of yours and my money to reroute an existing road so some fat cat can close off his resort to low lifes like myself that can't get my GulfStream in there.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Mesa de Anguila
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:19 AM »
Anyone every read Edward Abbey's Monkey Wrench Gang?  That book popped in my head when I read this thread.  

It's a fictional book about a group of strangers who became friends and were trying to stop the state from building the Glenn Canyon dam, building needless roads, etc.  They went around blowing up telephone poles, trying to destroy dams, ruining construction equipment.  I could never do any of this stuff because I have this fear of jail...but it's a good read.  Edward Abbey's other book, Desert Solitaire, is an even better book about his seasonal work as a ranger in Arches National Park.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!