Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

November 2006 Wildlife Sightings

• 12 Replies

BigBendHiker

« on: December 07, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »
The November wildlife sightings are up on the NPS website...

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/upload/sightings_1106.pdf

SHANEA

So You Want to See A Critter...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:18:30 PM »
Want to see a bear, best place is Pine Canyon, Basin Road, or the Window.

Want to see a lion, good luck...

Of course, any animal sighting is a hit or miss proposition - all a matter of being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time.

Thanks BBH.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »
Apparently all you have to do is be either 15 minutes ahead of or behind me....  :roll:

SHANEA

Just the Facts...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
Oops, Sgt. Joe Friday intended to say, just the stats...

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:23:58 AM »
And those are just the reported sightings.  About 3/4 of the people I talked to who saw bears didn't report them.

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »
Quote from: "RichardM"
Apparently all you have to do is be either 15 minutes ahead of or behind me....  :roll:

Take your family to Jellystone, Richard. I've notice that you go there quite often via their webcams.(Richard posts on the Loon Chat)
Location Location Location

SHANEA

Don't See
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:38:38 AM »
Don't see any correlation to moon phases.  I guess I'll check the price of tea in China for the next correlation.  :lol:   I think the best correlation is probably "being +/- fifteen minutes of RichardM's location".  

Need a nickname for RichardM.  "Casa Grande" has been bestowed on David, what about RichardM?   I'll ponder this one.  It's too dang cold to go outside and do anything....

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
Quote from: "Bobcat"

Take your family to Jellystone, Richard. I've notice that you go there quite often via their webcams.(Richard posts on the Loon Chat)

I'd love to.  Someday it'll happen.

But anybody can see a bear in Yellowstone.  The Big Bend bears are special.   :)

Yellowstone Webcams

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Don't See
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Need a nickname for RichardM.  "Casa Grande" has been bestowed on David, what about RichardM?   I'll ponder this one.  It's too dang cold to go outside and do anything....

Seeing as how my primary function here is a virtual janitor, that leaves the obvious nickname of Turkey Vulture.  I'll stick with RichardM....  :D

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
Re: Don't See
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 10:29:04 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Don't see any correlation to moon phases.  I guess I'll check the price of tea in China for the next correlation.  :lol:   I think the best correlation is probably "being +/- fifteen minutes of RichardM's location".  

Personally, I guess for myself, I'd choose Lost Mine Peak(second highest peak in BIBE), because who would want to be the highest peak in BIBE, namely Emory Peak.

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
Bobcats...
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »
How come there are no BOBCAT sightings in the park reports?? :?:
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
Re: Bobcats...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 01:55:36 PM »
Quote from: "okiehiker"
How come there are no BOBCAT sightings in the park reports?? :?:

I made a request to  Park Staff that they not include me in these reports. I have my reasons(Like the Agency). But as for the other Bobcats, I guess they're just  smarter than pumas and bears. But fairly recently one of my kin attacked a woman down at the BIBE Hot Spring.   And another kin was hanging around the RGV complex and may be the same cat that attacked the woman. There are pics of the RGV cat in the general store.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »

...or sarah  :lol:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!