Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break

• 37 Replies

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Spring Break
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
I'll actually probably stay around Mariscal/River Road (Fresno/Glenn Spring) and the Old Ore road, which I could also define as my 'centers'....I'm curious (and also dreading) what Dog Canyon and especially Closed Canyon will be like....It looks like I'll probably be O.K.....But THANK YOU ALL for your info!!!!

Naturally I'll post a huge multimedia trip report upon my return....
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

SHANEA

Not Bad...
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »
Virtually no one goes to Dog Canyon or the Persimmon Gap trail.  Why?  It's so close to the entrance that it must not be any good!   :shock:   Actually, both trails/areas are outstanding and are part of the seldom used area of the park.  Why?  "a lot of casual" visitors and even "old timers" head to the basin or other highlights of the park.

Closed Canyon will have a few more folks than normal, but I doubt that it will be "crowded".  It's not on the beaten path and is actually a pretty good drive from BIBE.

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Spring Break
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »
OK...long story short, since i've had to buy a new car...I don't have to worry about spring break anymore. SO.....How's the first week or two of MAY out in the bend, compared to spring break? Remember...I've only previously been in september-november.......
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."-H.P. Lovecraft

SHANEA

Cool.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 02:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "PyramidBlaster"
buy a new car...

Whatcha get?

Like to hear about folks going out and spending all kinds of money to help stimulate the economy!  This is generally a "rough" time of the year for automakers, very few people buy vehicles for Christmas gifts and few have any extra disposable income for a vehicle right now. Hope you went for the 84 month payment plan - banks and lending institutions really like that :!:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Spring Break
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 02:27:32 PM »
SO.....How's the first week or two of MAY out in the bend, compared to spring break? Remember...I've only previously been in september-november.......

A lot less people and higher temps.  I've been twice in May, both times it was very hot in the lower elevations.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Spring Break
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
Well...I can certainly deal favorably with the less people...Guess I'll have to get used to the higher temps, tho'....I went in early september in '98, and it was pretty damn hot....but not something I couldn't get around with a little prep work....

Online Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Re: Rooms... etc.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 03:58:59 PM »
Quote from: "okiehiker"
Also Russ Tidwell has purchased and renovated a number of old adobe houses in Marathon.

Do you know Russ? I met him back in the late 70's in Austin and went along iwth him for some memorable canoe trips along the river. Last time I saw him he took us through a tour of Captain Shepards Inn.

BigBendHiker

Spring Break
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 07:29:57 PM »
Well...I can certainly deal favorably with the less people...Guess I'll have to get used to the higher temps, tho'....I went in early september in '98, and it was pretty damn hot....but not something I couldn't get around with a little prep work....

Yep...have been there in September and early June and both times, it was warm in the lower elevations (near the River, etc).

BBH

Offline rebelusmc65

• Coyote
Spring Break
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 10:17:38 PM »
the big part this year will be from march 11th -17th and we have been full for that week for about a year now

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Spring Break
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »

I have been a few times in late April early May and the day time temps in the lower areas were from 107 to 112. But hey, its a dry heat 8)

I will be there this spring break. it will be my first spring trip and with the really nice wet winter they have been having out there I am hoping for some really nice flowers and blooms.

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Spring Break
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 05:42:01 AM »
Hey, Shanea...Missed that post back there about the car...I bought a Chevy Trailblazer. Nothin'crazy or anything, and if the little Jimmy I had was just a little bigger, I might have spent the ($$$!) money to fix her....But with the new twins and all I needed the extra space....

And no, I didn't go for the 84 mo....tho' I nearly had to go 72! And it's a base model.....!

At least the air blows cold...and there's plenty of room for a nice big Igloo Cooler....I'll need it in May....Or, maybe I should wait until October and try for an old Airstream to pull behind....

SHANEA

Good Call.
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 10:27:52 AM »
I bought a Chevy Trailblazer.

Good call.  http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/  Nice looking ride.  

I was  :shock: to learn that a large % of the "high-end" purchases these days of Escalades, etc. are done on the 84 month plan.  

Do you have the "Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine With Active Fuel Management™ Technology" -
In plain terms, the engine moves from eight cylinders to four cylinders and back again, making it a powerplant that delivers both power and efficiency.

If so, it would be nice to know first hand how you like it.

Offline PyramidBlaster

• Coyote
  • 3AM Eternal...
Spring Break
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »
Nahh...nothing that luxurious--just a torquey straight-six....So far, I'm really pleased...Not quite as sporty as the 4.3 V6 in the Jimmy, but much better than I thought it would be...But I hear great things about the Active fuel management. I was looking at a base Tahoe, But it was still too rich for my blood....

Offline Wendy

• Jack Rabbit
    • http://www.wendylarsen.com
Spring Break
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 08:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "jamesb"
I will be there this spring break. it will be my first spring trip and with the really nice wet winter they have been having out there I am hoping for some really nice flowers and blooms.

James

What dates?  You've probably mentionted it on another forum and I've just missed it.  We'll be there 3/10 - 3/17 for our annual trip.   I'm hoping for lots of flowers this year too.  Last year it was dry, dry, dry and there was nothing in bloom.  The year before, the wildflowers were absolutely incredible!!!
Wendy

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
  • We're going' up around the Bend - J. Fogerty, 1970
Spring Break
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 08:54:37 PM »
The breakers must've wiped out the flowers :?   Took this last week of Feb. 2005;  I've found that late February is pretty good for flowers, and you don't have to put up with the crowds.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!