Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The increase in bear activity in Big Bend

• 20 Replies

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »
True, GL, but I'm trying not to alienate too many people right away.  You're going to have at least some attractants in the Basin unless you just shut it down completely;  leaving the camp ground gains support from those who like to camp there.   And, if you get rid of the store and restaurant, I think it would be utilized less.  Maybe use it only as a staging area for people who want to hike the high country;  run the trail heads there instead of the current locations.  
BTW, I know a lot of folks on this board like to camp there but I'm not one of them.  I've camped there exactly once;  it's crowded, busy, and the sites are small.  The setting, however, is spectacular.

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 01:51:19 PM »
Quote from: "Roy"
Ants?

Ants. No no no. Not ants. Roy's referring to the Red Ant Incident of 2004 that I reported on the old page.  I was stung severely between my toes by a single red ant in the south of the Park.  And when I attempted to pet the cute little thing, I accidentally broke one of its legs. So, I did what I thought was right and immediately built an adobe ant hospital/rehab center in the Tuff Canyon area.  It was approximately the size of a die(one dice).  I'm not going to get into how I trained the staff and other details that would make this story too long.  But, when I reported all this, questions were asked.   I was asked about my credentials for treating arthropods. And, of course, the question of the legality of building the hospital/rehab center in the Park was discussed thoroughly.  Well, in the end, we decided that the center needed be destroyed and that the next hiker in that area would simply step on it(after properly evacuating the structure, of course). I really felt badly about the final outcome.
Location Location Location

Offline Desert Rat

• Diamondback
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »
RichardM said:

"Start with the info here. Just about anything's possible with enough money. "

Am I the only one amazed at what Richard can pull out the hat at a moments notice.  Sometimes I think he has memorized every thread posted on this board.

There are some truly incredible people in this group!

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
true
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 08:15:04 PM »
Roy, usiing the campground as a staging area is a good one.  I was just wondering why you didn't include it on your original list.  It is by far more crowded than the Cottonwood campground, probably because of the cooler temps and the views.  I must say I am glad it's open, or else where would David and Sarah gotten married? :D

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »
I don't see the Basin campground being abandoned or the campsites reduced significantly due to bears because there will be little difference.  

It won't matter if the number of campsites are reduced since there will still be people camping out and there will be de bears.  As long as the campgrounds are there it should remain pretty much as it is.  What the hell.

I've never camped in the basin; it has a poor people to remoteness ratio considering the drive out there.  We have always gone to Rio Grande Village when arriving late because we know we can get a campsite because the Basin tends to fill up first.  

The next day we get our permits and head to the more remote areas of the park.

There have to be other solutions to the problem that don't totally detract from the "Basin" experience.   Just don't ask me what these solutions are . . .

Al

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 10:06:02 PM »
How many bear encounters have there been in the Basin itself?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!