Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip approval request for next week, April 3rd to 6th.

• 6 Replies

Offline BB BOB

• Jack Rabbit
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:58:53 PM »
I hereby request permission to make an excursion into the park next week.  My current plans are as follows:  

Monday: Depart SA for the Bend via Hwy 90.  Camp that night at JC #1 or JC #2.  

Tuesday: Explore Sierra Quemada along the Dodson trail.  Backtrack and move camp to a Pine Canyon site that afternoon or evening.  

Wednesday: Pine Canyon, Grapevine Hills, Cattail Falls and Blue Creek ranch.  Move to a room reserved in the Basin to clean up and eat a steak at the lodge.    

Thursday: Load up at the buffet and depart for SA and home via I-10

SHANEA

A-OK
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:55:48 PM »
People that eat at the basin keep referring to a "grazing" AKA buffet.  What kind of buffet is this - breakfast/lunch/dinner?  What types of "grain" is available?  I take it the meals there are good?  Reasonable prices?  What will a steak run you?

Good luck.  Be Safe.  Take gigs of pictures.

APPROVED

Offline BB BOB

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
I think the buffet is only served at breakfast for about $6.95 without coffee but it's a real spread.  If i remember correctly, a steak in the evening is about $13. dollars.  

SA BILL, I'll be driving a silver Tahoe with Big Bend plates.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: A-OK
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:38:21 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
People that eat at the basin keep referring to a "grazing" AKA buffet.  What kind of buffet is this - breakfast/lunch/dinner?  What types of "grain" is available?  I take it the meals there are good?  Reasonable prices?  What will a steak run you?

The breakfast buffet had eggs (scrambled and maybe poached), pancakes and/or french toast, grits, oatmeal, fruit, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.  Haven't eaten lunch there since the current vendor took over.  The dinner menu is now the same each night (as opposed to the old rotating entree menu).  They have a small salad bar with soup of varying quality.  Prices weren't too bad.  I wasn't too thrilled with the beef soft tacos.  I had ordered the chicken ones, but it was late and our waiter was pretty slow so I just ate 'em anyway.  Almost regretted it later that night.

SHANEA

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »
Quote from: "RichardM"
and probably some other stuff I can't remember.

COLLARED PECCARIES

Offline CurtR

• Diamondback
    • http://groovybob.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:57:21 PM »
Quote from: "RichardM"
Quote from: "SHANEA"

The breakfast buffet had eggs (scrambled and maybe poached), pancakes and/or french toast, grits, oatmeal, fruit, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.  Haven't eaten lunch there since the current vendor took over.  The dinner menu is now the same each night (as opposed to the old rotating entree menu).  They have a small salad bar with soup of varying quality.  Prices weren't too bad.  I wasn't too thrilled with the beef soft tacos.  I had ordered the chicken ones, but it was late and our waiter was pretty slow so I just ate 'em anyway.  Almost regretted it later that night.

Wow, Richard knows the breakfast buffet by heart!! :shock:   I have had the breadfast buffet a few times over the past 3 years.  I like eating a good breakfast then snacking all day and eating well at night.  

What Richard said about the tacos is funny because last week I ordered the chicken tacos,... they were pretty good, although I was starved.  I'm just glad I didn't order the beef.

I had a steak in there last year.  I did not think it was very good.  Kinda like eating a steak at K-Bobs.

That itenterary sounds fine and though it has already been approved, it must be completed with pictures!!

Have Fun.... you should see cactus blooms!!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »
Quote from: "CurtR"
Wow, Richard knows the breakfast buffet by heart!! :shock:

Well, we did eat at the buffet three mornings in a row...  :oops:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!