Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Anthony Bourdain in Big Bend

• 9 Replies

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
Anthony Bourdain in Big Bend
« on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:25 PM »
I came across this today on Reddit and thought yall might find it interesting. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBendTX/comments/8pksmx/rip_anthony_bourdain_pictures_from_his_overnight/

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
Re: Anthony Bourdain in Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:08:53 PM »
I liked his shows. He did one on Austin and Laredo? I think when No Reservations was still on the air. RIP...

Offline nuggetf5

• Golden Eagle
  • Roadrunner
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Apologies if this was covered elsewhere--

According to what I've read there's a remaining Parts Unknown episode that was filmed in the general "Big Bend area," which I know is an awful lot of territory besides the park, though it's clear he was there as well. My understanding is it was filmed but he was no longer with us to do the production commentary but the episode will be completed nevertheless.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-season-cnn

Some of the ads running for the remaining episodes make it look like he's sitting somewhere in the park but impossible to know for sure.
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 11:09:54 PM »
Apologies if this was covered elsewhere--

According to what I've read there's a remaining Parts Unknown episode that was filmed in the general "Big Bend area," which I know is an awful lot of territory besides the park, though it's clear he was there as well. My understanding is it was filmed but he was no longer with us to do the production commentary but the episode will be completed nevertheless.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-season-cnn

Some of the ads running for the remaining episodes make it look like he's sitting somewhere in the park but impossible to know for sure.
It was on CNN tonight at 22:00

If you missed it, its on again on 11/10/18 at 22:00 - CNN
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
You can on YouTube, albeit with some annoying adds.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:46:06 PM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
Charlie Angell getting a lot of airtime there in Santa Elena

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
"They were in tune with their universe and their environment"  ???
"They had the same brain that put a man on the moon"  :shock: :roll:

I know it's entertainment... but damn... why do the ancient people have to be space cadets? Why can't they just be people scratching an existence out of a harsh landscape with primitive tools. They tracked the stars because they needed to know when to plant their food. Whole Foods wasn't around back then. Ok... back to an otherwise entertaining video.

I felt kind of bad about the Adobe guy in Marfa. Marfa got invaded and now the old timers are getting taxed out of existence. The Ojinaga / Presidio parts is spot on. I'm not convinced that Ojinaga is all that safe for my white, no Spanish speaking self (thanks for taking Spanish out of Texas schools LBJ... you deceased, racist, a**)  :icon_biggrin:  but they captured the essence of border towns and the ebb and flow of people crossing the border.

They covered a lot of ground with their cameras. Laredo to Ojinaga. It's too bad it's on CNN. A lot of people that need to won't watch it. Honestly... I normally wouldn't but it's Anthony Bourdain  :icon_biggrin:  The point he made about the wall at the end was exactly right  :eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:13:41 PM by iCe »

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:51 PM »
I had never considered the concept of "the gentrification of Marfa". Very sad that it seems to be happening, but it just sounds weird with those two words in the same sentence.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »
I highly recommend watching the video with the "closed captions" enabled. It's a unique experience.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »
Myself, I didn't care for the commentary in the video. It made it seem like the only people living out there are alcoholics. While there are many out there, there are some really good people.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!