Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Big Bend Virtual Geology Field Trips

• 52 Replies

Offline Francis Redfern

• Jack Rabbit
    • Website of Francis Redfern
Re: Big Bend Virtual Geology Field Trips
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
I have now added a trip to the east side of Talley Mountain, looking for any evidence of the K-T boundary in the Black Peaks Formation.

Offline Francis Redfern

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2016, 09:40:51 PM »
I keep forgetting to post the URL of my site for those interested. It is http://prism-redfern.org/

Offline Francis Redfern

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
I now have the trip to Mariscal Mine online. http://prism-redfern.org/bbvirtualtrip/mine/mine.html

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2016, 04:41:25 PM »
Very informative reading on Mariscal Mine.  We visited the mine several years ago, but, as you say, without any kind of plaques or form of explanation, it's all just "old buildings" to us lay people.  Thanks for the tutorial.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »
Nice! We were there around the same time you were and other than the "walk down the road" we pretty much took the same tour and somewhat ignored the buildings down below

Offline Francis Redfern

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2018, 12:30:39 AM »
It's been over two years since i have been to BB. Far too long! I began revising some of the field trips, but then i got involved in some time-consuming physics research. Then there were other major distractions. A couple of weeks ago i attended a musical performance with newly composed music inspired by BB. This motivated me to put aside my physics work for the time being and get back to revising the field trips. I have started using Google Earth in conjunction with USGS  Scientific Investigations Map 3142, 2011 to do some serious revision of even some of the field trips i had already revised. However, this post is to announce a new field trip on my website http://prism-redfern.org  Pine Canyon, for anyone who might be interested. This trip was actually taken some years back but i never got around to finishing it. Some of the revised trips are online. Others are works in progress.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2018, 08:36:53 PM »
Thanks Dr Redfern, lots of us enjoy your work

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »
Thanks Dr Redfern, lots of us enjoy your work
Thanks for sharing.  BIBE is certainly a geological wonderland. 

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!