Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Montopolis: The Legend of Big Bend

• 5 Replies

Offline Summit

• Roadrunner
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
https://montopolismusic.com

I just found out about this concert/ multi-media art show that will be at the Modern in Fort Worth on 2/24.  It looks like they've played recently in Austin at the Bob Bullock museum and will be in Houston in April.  I bought tickets just based on the description and the musicians involved (members of Okkerville River, Polyphonic spree and Austin Symphony).

If anyone has seen a concert--please let us know what you thought.  I look forward to being transported to the bend, if only for an evening. 

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Montopolis: The Legend of Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
Hmm... interesting  :eusa_think:

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »
Well, I love Polyphonic Spree. I live right around the corner from the founders of the group and I've known them for years. Their kids went to school with my kids. I can definitely see how members of that group would gravitate to this kind of project. I'll have to drive over to Ft. Worth and check this out.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »
Went to the one in Austin last Friday evening.

The music was chamber music, which I thought was going to be set to a beautiful and expertly executed slide show, shot at the right time of day displaying the magnificence of the park. It wasn’t. The music WAS GREAT, but it stopped there.

The photographer over used his limited quiver of techniques in my opinion. He used a Go-Pro for the motion pictures, and then sped them up. I don’t know what sort of camera he used for the stills. Neither the movies nor the stills were sharply focused, and there was no blending of one image into the next and some images appeared more than once.

The ‘speed up’ technique was used over and over. Initially, there was a long highway sequence of the trip to the park, most of which was highway stripes, but included the occasional image of something recognizable. It appears that the entire sequence was shot on U.S. 290W up to the edge of Fredericksburg, but no further. Unclear how they made it the rest of the way to the park, but they photographed every stripe for the first 150 miles.

Once at the park, all days were either overcast or the lighting was flat at the time it was photographed. The rocks had no highlight and no shadow detail.

Photographically, all were washed out. He stayed pretty much on the main roads (more shots of highway stripes), and the places he shot were in the sequence that he came to them, particularly on Ross Maxwell. He did include Old Maverick Road (highway shots without the stripes), but he did not tell a cohesive story with the photos.

I appeared he had a week off from work and went to the park to do his part of the presentation, but the weather was, at best, only fair. But one day the sun did shine. I would not have put them out there for the audience that attended.

I would guess that close to 100% of the people there were multi-year/multi-trip experienced, which could not have helped the photographer. My wife and I were surprised – we were expecting more. Perhaps unfairly.

Oh, and one more thing… Toward the end, it became obvious that the chamber group wrote about 15 minutes more music than there were BB photos, so the photographer filled the time void with astronomy photos, a few of which were shot in the park, but the bulk were shot by the Hubble Space Telescope. I wasn’t expecting this (the photos had nothing to do with the park) but I was thinking that I misjudged the guy. Initially, I thought, “These astro-photos are stupendous!’ So I just enjoyed space photography until, low and behold, I realized that there was no way these shots could have been made on Earth.

There were probably 30 extremely sharp deep space images of very, very dim objects, most of which are just barely visible by the best scopes on the planet. What was that all about??? It was like the end sequence on 2001, A Space Odyssey, when the astronaut descends onto the surface of Jupiter. It’s a light show!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »
Perhaps there is a way to supplement/supplant their presentation with BBC member photos? Like take all the prior calendar shots and create a massive slideshow for them to use - maybe at a cost, maybe not depending on the photo copyrights? Could be an interesting partnership. Just thinking out loud.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:58:08 PM »
Perhaps there is a way to supplement/supplant their presentation with BBC member photos? Like take all the prior calendar shots and create a massive slideshow for them to use - maybe at a cost, maybe not depending on the photo copyrights? Could be an interesting partnership. Just thinking out loud.

+1 !!!!!!!!!

Nothing shows off Big Bend better than the photos of BigBendChat members (present author excluded ).

And thanks for the excellent, thoughtful review, PTC. At least I now know what I’m getting into...

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!