Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Recent Backcountry Campsite Robbery

• 37 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Recent Backcountry Campsite Robbery
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 09:59:11 PM »
I just know those guys targeted my jeep for a fun run.

Ummm...that was not a fun run, but a low pass.

A fun run would have been accompanied by the braaaaaap of the 30mm Gatling cannon.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
I just know those guys targeted my jeep for a fun run.

Ummm...that was not a fun run, but a low pass.

A fun run would have been accompanied by the braaaaaap of the 30mm Gatling cannon.

I hope they save some braaaaaaaap for the Zetas, and etc.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Lance

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
From the pictures it looks like they were down in the gully at the proper campsite spot, which is somewhat out of view from passersby driving on the River Road.  Seems like a random theft. I've never had a problem at DT1 before, and I've camped several times there.

Good view of the Sierra Quemadas in the morning from DT1.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
From the pictures it looks like they were down in the gully at the proper campsite spot, which is somewhat out of view from passersby driving on the River Road.  Seems like a random theft.

Probably a target of opportunity.

Criminal scum are everywhere; it's just more shocking in isolated areas, and parks attract all types.

It's easy pickings, even in developed campgrounds.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
From the pictures it looks like they were down in the gully at the proper campsite spot, which is somewhat out of view from passersby driving on the River Road.  Seems like a random theft.

Probably a target of opportunity.

Criminal scum are everywhere; it's just more shocking in isolated areas, and parks attract all types.

It's easy pickings, even in developed campgrounds.

That's what I think. Much like the random theft of all my stuff in Lincoln National Forest. Every so often an ill wind blows, and those in the wrong place at the wrong time, get the brunt of it. Whatever happened, let's hope karma is real and the jerks get their just deserts somewhere down the road.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »

I'm curious about the speculations of our LEO contributors - it's raining and I'm all out of detective novels.

I'm law enforcement.  Here's my thoughts.  I too first noticed the thread was incorrectly labeled robbery, when it's just a theft.  The degree of which is determined by the value of the items stolen.  Robbery is a theft from SOMEONE.

Secondly, I really didn't pay much attention to it.  I noted it in my mind as another reason to be careful.  I know you shouldn't have to, but I take a lot more precautions after 25 years as a police officer.  I seldom leave much of anything in my campsite. 

I thought, glad no one was hurt and then I moved on to see if Homer Wilson has updated his One Helluva Bender report.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

I'm curious about the speculations of our LEO contributors - it's raining and I'm all out of detective novels.

I'm law enforcement.  Here's my thoughts.  I too first noticed the thread was incorrectly labeled robbery, when it's just a theft.  The degree of which is determined by the value of the items stolen.  Robbery is a theft from SOMEONE.

Secondly, I really didn't pay much attention to it.  I noted it in my mind as another reason to be careful.  I know you shouldn't have to, but I take a lot more precautions after 25 years as a police officer.  I seldom leave much of anything in my campsite. 

I thought, glad no one was hurt and then I moved on to see if Homer Wilson has updated his One Helluva Bender report.

Man, a life well-lived is really all about priorities.  :notworthy:

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
The tendency toward the normalcy bias makes me skeptical of explanations that involve vague generalities about "stuff happens."   I'm not disagreeing, I'm just observing that "stuff happens" for some reason or another.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!