Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Texas Monthly interview with the Superintendent

• 11 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Texas Monthly interview with the Superintendent
« on: September 12, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
A pretty interesting interview, sounds like they are for sure going to tear down and replace the Lodge registration and restaurant among other things.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
Re: Texas Monthly interview with the Superintendent
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
there’s an opportunity to rethink all the basin facilities other than the cottages.
Interesting. Wonder what, if anything, will happen.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 06:08:31 AM »
When I spoke to him this past summer, there were options on the table including a complete rethinking of all facilities in the Basin.  He said some have suggested keeping the old, stabilizing the foundation of the restaurant (apparently it was built in a bed of bentonite). He's definitely a proponent of a complete tear down and brand new facilities where they combine a ranger station, restaurant and lodge. Ultimately, it would be cheaper and more effective to do that.  It is interesting to note that the loading dock has has to be raised several times over the decades due to the sinking foundation.

Sent from my pocket machine using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
  He said some have suggested keeping the old, stabilizing the foundation of the restaurant (apparently it was built in a bed of bentonite).

This just goes to show how geologically ignorant I am, as I would have said that there is no significant amounts of bentonite anywhere in the basin.  :icon_redface:
 Having been impressed with that building since I first saw it when it was maybe only 5 years old or less, I'm going to miss it. :(   I still recall the diagonal wooden cross hatching that they had behind the counter that housed all of their photo film for sale. It always reminded me of a bunch of brick hods full of little yellow bricks (Kodak film boxes).
Still, it isn't what keeps me coming back to the park, so I guess I can let it go. Hopefully they'll pick a new more stable site to build on so that the old building can still function until the new one is ready.
Fort Worth

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
FM: You are not alone. I would never have guessed the lodge was built on bentonite. In a park that's full of igneous extrusions!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »
Super Bob also mentioned there would likely be temporary, portable buildings put in place for the reservation desk, store, etc. And, perhaps, a food truck of some sorts during construction. Sounds like it's gonna be a mess, cost twice as much as it should and take twice as long.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
Sounds like it's gonna be a mess, cost twice as much as it should and take twice as long.

And might cost the consumer twice as much.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »
I still recall the diagonal wooden cross hatching that they had behind the counter that housed all of their photo film for sale.

Who remembers the old Dallas huts that were additional lodging in the Basin (a quality step lower than the lodge)? Seems they were demolished in the mid to late 70s.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 06:19:27 AM »
I still recall the diagonal wooden cross hatching that they had behind the counter that housed all of their photo film for sale.

Who remembers the old Dallas huts that were additional lodging in the Basin (a quality step lower than the lodge)? Seems they were demolished in the mid to late 70s.

I am not sure the Dallas huts were there in '73 but there was still a gas station then with a garage that we had to use to repair a muffler.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »
The Dallas huts and the gas station were gone by the time I visited the park in 1980. However, there were two water barrels at the turnout on the road in green gulch. And I think they were there until around 1990.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »

Unfortunately I don't remember the Dallas Huts at all. I remember the old store and the gas station. The gas station was just east of where the visitor's center is now, and the old store was approx at the bottom of the stairs that come down from the Main Lodge/restaurant building to the lower parking (gazebo area).
I think the Rio Grande motel units were already there in '69 (my first visit) and I recall (perhaps incorrectly) seeing the Casa Grande Units being under construction in 1980.
The Dallas huts and the gas station were gone by the time I visited the park in 1980. However, there were two water barrels at the turnout on the road in green gulch. And I think they were there until around 1990.

I remember the barrels, here is my photo of the upper pair from 1969.

Fort Worth

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »
I believe the Rio Grande units were constructed as part of Mission 66: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_66
And I also remember the Casa Grande units under construction in 1979 or 1980.
- H.L. Mencken

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!