Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Log Cabin on Pulliam???

• 7 Replies

Offline kayziewayzie

• Jack Rabbit
Log Cabin on Pulliam???
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
One of the park visitors mentioned that there may have been a log cabin on Pulliam built by Pulliam at his wife's request. Does anybody know if such a cabin exists/existed? Thanks, KK

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: Log Cabin on Pulliam???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:00:47 PM »
The only thing I've heard about is a small building somewhere about here.

Never actually been there and I can't remember what they said it was for.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline kayziewayzie

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »
Thanks! If I see the visitor again, I'll try to get more info about where he read that info or found the info about the cabin, etc. Thanks, KK

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:28:26 PM »
I think I may have seen the foundation many years ago, across the road from Lost mine trail parking lot you can go up the hill towards Mt Huffman. you go up the road heading out of the basin from the lost mine parking lot and you will find an animal trail right about the peak of the road before it starts going down hill.

in this area
29.274943, -103.285158

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29%C2%B016'29.8%22N+103%C2%B017'06.6%22W/@29.274943,-103.287352,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d29.274943!4d-103.285158
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
here is a better visual in this thread of how to get to that foundation, it was in 2010 when I went there and used this post as a guide. the concrete foundation was not all that far from the start. I had the precise GPS location at one time, but due to a hard drive failure I lost lost of good coordinates I use to have.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-mountains-of-big-bend/hike-the-'-huff'-'/msg81566/#msg81566

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
, excellent Scorpion

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline kayziewayzie

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »
Thanks, y'all! I drove up to the basin this morning and stopped for a moment to look at the hill across from Lost Mine Trailhead. I'm gonna go up there but it will have to next trip. It looks pretty straightforward and I hope I find that foundation. I'll keep looking for more info about the Pulliams in some reference books. I'll add any info I find! Thanks, KK

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:16:44 PM »
The foundation area is not all that hight up in elevation, and not all that far from the park road. I do recall when you are walking up and get to a flat area, maybe 50 yards or so (don't hold me to that, was 9 years ago) but it should be somewhere in the 2 to 5 o'clock position if you are looking north ish, it was partially covered by brush and grass.
Just think if you were to build a cabin up there, you would not want to go far up hill and you would want a flat open view
Thanks, y'all! I drove up to the basin this morning and stopped for a moment to look at the hill across from Lost Mine Trailhead. I'm gonna go up there but it will have to next trip. It looks pretty straightforward and I hope I find that foundation. I'll keep looking for more info about the Pulliams in some reference books. I'll add any info I find! Thanks, KK

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!