Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BIBE brochures 1947 & 1953

• 4 Replies

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
BIBE brochures 1947 & 1953
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
I recently picked up two park brochures, one from 1947 and the other from 1953.  They are pretty much identical, except for the photos and the map on the back.

If anyone is interested, I might try scan them and get them into a PDF format so they're easy to read through.  Scanned images of printed text doesn't work very well in a forum format.

Here are the covers and some other stuff:

1947 Cover:

Note the car right-center, not a place you'd likely see a vehicle today!
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE IMAGE

1953 Cover:

1953 Park Map:

The Ward Mountain Trail is visible in the inset.

Boquillas

WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Joe

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Big Bender since 1972
Nice
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:02 PM »
Cool!
The real desert is a land which reveals its true character only to those who come with courage, tolerance and understanding. - Randall Henderson

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/el-saloacuten/joe-a-memorial/

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
Re: BIBE brochures 1947 & 1953
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
Those are great!  As a collector of old maps, I find your find pretty cool.  My wife's grandfather went out to Big Bend in the early 50's.  He didn't have too much to say about it, except to say that the drive took a long, long time...he left from SA.  

Thanks for sharing.

Vince

SHANEA

WOW!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »
Wow!  Look at that water flow!  Yea, when you get a chance sometime put them in a pdf.  Don't know where you will park them.  I think RichardM knows some places to park stuff.  Boquilas doesn't look like it's changed much.  I like the girls hat in the bottom picture.  Notice how there is no vegitation along the Rio Grande.  There are 3 people in the bottom picture.  Notice the hats that the men are wearing - very typical of the 50's and 60's in mens fashion.  Got some old pics of my Pappy wearing hats like that.   Canyon walls look taller in the first picture.  Ok, enough, I could go on for an hour analyzing the pics.   8)

SHANEA

Re: BIBE brochures 1947 & 1953
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 09:50:36 PM »
Quote from: "Vince T"
My wife's grandfather went out to Big Bend in the early 50's.  He didn't have too much to say about it, except to say that the drive took a long, long time...he left from SA.

I bet that was pre I-10 and Hwy90, if it existed, was probably two rough lanes.???  Just a guess on my part.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!