Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

BiBe - March 2017

• 6 Replies

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
BiBe - March 2017
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:51 AM »
Hey guys!

I hope all is well :)

Things have been going ok here. Well, I take that back. I've been pretty down about the work I do even though it is a blessing to work where I work and make an income and have benefits. I have to constantly remind myself that this is something that is worth something. The reality though is that none of this means squat to me without having a core of people who I can team up with and help address the state of what is going on in the world today, especially with regard to how our "public" lands are SEEMINGLY being destroyed day in and day out. Anyway. Enough of that except to say...

If I can find a way to do this full time, buck the job, and still pay our related bills (i.e. food, shelter, transportation), I would love to take everyone out to this place or someplace like it. The awe that is inspired in people could be THE catalyst that finally bridges the divide. The petty greed and pride that often seem to taint our conversations, opinions, and actions. I tried submitting this to the associated Big Bend Chat fb page, but I must not have done it correctly. Whatever the case, here is at least ONE photo from the trip that I got to take with James, Scott, Ben, and Omar (a newbie who draws! he drew some marvelous recreations of Casa Grande and a few other spots). I'll share more of course, there is as usual the wildlife that crosses paths with us, and of course there are some "action" shots.

Anyway... On to the "action". Enjoy!

This was my favorite "accidental" capture from Big Bend National Park. It MAY be an iridium flare, but I am not sure. I was still setting up the camera to focus on the stars and to get an idea of how in focus the landscape was/etc, and as a car peeked its way through the trees off and on during its journey up Basin Road, I said aloud in the middle of nowhere as I clicked the shutter "I will call you The Ascension". As I finished saying this, as dorky as it is to talk aloud when alone in a place like this, suddenly a bright light appeared in the sky...

As you can see in the image, the light was moving. It moved slowly from left to right over the course of about 8 seconds. As it started, it was bright and grew brighter still, then it dimmed, and got even brighter than it was just prior... And then it faded away. I nervously waited for the camera to process the extended exposure so I could review the capture on screen, and BAM! Sure enough the entire event showed up on the frame I had captured, including the small clip of taillights from the car going up to the Chisos Mountains Lodge - Big Bend National Park.

Many times in life we will see things that are absolutely amazing, but I can say with certainty that this type of thing happens each and every time I am out at this place. The absolute vastness of the place is dwarfed by the things that happen at unfathomable distances and still raise the hair on the back of my neck. Whatever this event was, it was amazing to see in person. Thankfully I captured a crude rendition of what exactly happened in front of my very eyes, and hopefully it is something that captures your imagination as well.
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: BiBe - March 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
Amen to all of that Rey!  And what a lucky capture in that picture.   :eusa_clap:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
Sure pays to be in the right place at the right time with a camera! Great capture! I don't think it is an Iridium flare, since they are nearly instantaneous. You likely captured the ISS or other bright man-made satellite.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:40 PM »
Thanks guys!

It was a pretty neat trip. I twisted James's arm and got us both out of town for about two weeks. The first week was spent heading to Rocky Mountain National Park. We were hoping to camp there at least one night, but the wind chill was -7, and the snow was blowing sideways several times when we passed through the park now and then. Either way, we already had an Airbnb on tap for the majority of the time we were planning to be there, so that's what we stuck with. It wasn't a bad plan either. Plus we got to see a mountain lion while we were driving to the place we were staying! Anyway, the room took a lot of effort out of the equation.

This two week trip was a godsend. By the end of week one, I was getting on track again. But it wasn't until Big Bend that started to completely calm down for a bit. There were a lot of people in the park pre-spring break, but we kept our distance from the crowds. We had dinner at the Sotol Vista overlook. We watched the stars and satellites. We laughed. We LIVED. The healing powers of the Big Bend... They are undeniable.

Day One:

I arrived at the park first. I was off already, and so was James, but James was going to be taking Scott with him and Scott didn't get out of work until later that day. Since it was a separate car outing, I high tailed it as early as I could manage after unpacking from CO and then repacking for BiBe. I was on the road by 5am, and in the park by about 11am or so. The park was packed. Had it not been for Ben setting up a reservation for a campsite, we would have been SOL on a site in the basin.

Before I knew it, it was starting to get dark that Friday night. I headed down to the bottom of Basin Road to take some pics of the stars while waiting on the others to arrive, and after several hours of standing outside taking pics here and there I started trying to get creative. I hoped the cars heading up 385 into the park were James and Scott or Ben and Omar so I could show them the pic of themselves approaching Basin Road, but no luck. I resorted to shooting towards The Chisos instead, and I was taking one of my last shots when the above story and image happened. Once that happened I couldn't much top that, so I called it a night. Plus I'd been up since 4am or so. I was tired. I heard James and Scott when they arrived, and I even vaguely recall Ben and Omar arriving even later that night/next morning, but I was pretty tired and never fully woke up, and I did not got out of the tent until the following morning...
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
This is the my first Stingrey trip report since joining Big Bend Chat. Pretty awesome start.  I have a feeling that by the time I finish reading it, I'll be a changed man....
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »

I saw the image on FB. There's a website that you can use to determine if that was an Iridium flare (and a lot of other astro things).

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Hey guys!

I hope all is well :)

Things have been going ok here. Well, I take that back. I've been pretty down about the work I do even though it is a blessing to work where I work and make an income and have benefits. I have to constantly remind myself that this is something that is worth something. The reality though is that none of this means squat to me without having a core of people who I can team up with and help address the state of what is going on in the world today, especially with regard to how our "public" lands are SEEMINGLY being destroyed day in and day out. Anyway. Enough of that except to say...

If I can find a way to do this full time, buck the job, and still pay our related bills (i.e. food, shelter, transportation), I would love to take everyone out to this place or someplace like it. The awe that is inspired in people could be THE catalyst that finally bridges the divide. The petty greed and pride that often seem to taint our conversations, opinions, and actions. I tried submitting this to the associated Big Bend Chat fb page, but I must not have done it correctly. Whatever the case, here is at least ONE photo from the trip that I got to take with James, Scott, Ben, and Omar (a newbie who draws! he drew some marvelous recreations of Casa Grande and a few other spots). I'll share more of course, there is as usual the wildlife that crosses paths with us, and of course there are some "action" shots.

Anyway... On to the "action". Enjoy!

This was my favorite "accidental" capture from Big Bend National Park. It MAY be an iridium flare, but I am not sure. I was still setting up the camera to focus on the stars and to get an idea of how in focus the landscape was/etc, and as a car peeked its way through the trees off and on during its journey up Basin Road, I said aloud in the middle of nowhere as I clicked the shutter "I will call you The Ascension". As I finished saying this, as dorky as it is to talk aloud when alone in a place like this, suddenly a bright light appeared in the sky...

As you can see in the image, the light was moving. It moved slowly from left to right over the course of about 8 seconds. As it started, it was bright and grew brighter still, then it dimmed, and got even brighter than it was just prior... And then it faded away. I nervously waited for the camera to process the extended exposure so I could review the capture on screen, and BAM! Sure enough the entire event showed up on the frame I had captured, including the small clip of taillights from the car going up to the Chisos Mountains Lodge - Big Bend National Park.

Many times in life we will see things that are absolutely amazing, but I can say with certainty that this type of thing happens each and every time I am out at this place. The absolute vastness of the place is dwarfed by the things that happen at unfathomable distances and still raise the hair on the back of my neck. Whatever this event was, it was amazing to see in person. Thankfully I captured a crude rendition of what exactly happened in front of my very eyes, and hopefully it is something that captures your imagination as well.

Offline roadjunkie

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
Nice shot!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!