Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas Canyon Sand Slide

• 7 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« on: February 01, 2006, 10:04:28 PM »
Not the best pic of the sand slide in Boquillas Canyon, but then I don't recall seeing any others of it.  Here's my wife-to-be and me running down it in 2000.

It's funny how many people I've talked to who hiked into Boquillas Canyon but when I ask if they did the sand slide and they just go "huh?"  Seems most people turn around before they get to it.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:18:51 PM »
yes, i've seen it and only been to that canyon once....i'm not really sure why only once, perhaps it's because of the 'sand walk' ;)

somewhere i have  pic of i also, taken in Aug of 2000 as a matter of fact!

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:36:02 PM »
I went once, but didn't get a pic for some reason.  May have lost it.  

On one trip me and a buddy hiked up to Emory Peak.  There were some very nice fall colors at the time and I got some sweet pictures.  On the way down he started jogging!  So I started jogging, too.  The next thing we knew we were at the trailhead.  As I pulled off my camelbak, I realized that the roll of film I shot on the way up had bounced out somewhere (from that stupid jogging).  I wasn't about to hike back up to look for it so some lucky person hopefully found some great photos.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 02:59:19 PM »
Here's the 3-D version on the NPS site:
http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/bigbend/html/bb226.htm

And here it is in 2-D:
http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/bigbend/html2/bb226.htm
[/url]

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 03:04:20 PM »
it's interesting to see the difference in the sand and rocks over time

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 03:09:26 PM »
Somewhere in my parents' archives there is a picture of my Dad and older brother coming down while my sister and I sit in the minimal shade of a bush at the bottom.  Naturally, I have no idea where that picture is today...

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »
What's in the cave?
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 04:15:40 PM »
Nothing but more sand.  It wasn't very deep and was pretty unremarkable.  It did provide some much needed shade while we were catching our breath from climbing up.  Going up the sand slide is like hitting a stairmaster on max resistance.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!