Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Build your wall

• 18 Replies

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
Build your wall
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:18:42 PM »
Hey all,

It's been a while. I've been on the road quite a bit. I left the corporate gig almost two years ago to pursue a strong calling to help revisit the old ways. In so doing I have revisited the old places with some of the old people who are no longer with us. I am fortunate to have been welcomed by those places from the past. I am not a singer or a musician by trade, I work on electronics and servers like nobody's business, but not right now. Right now I am just working on helping my family to get outdoors again. I hope you enjoy the pics. Mute the sound if you are not happy listening to the words I put to the song itself. The next clips will include more sounds from the destinations themselves.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Build your wall
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
Good to see you back Rey!  i have seen that you have been running around with Quicksilver and some others of the old ones.   :cool:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:14:54 PM »
Good to see you back Rey!  i have seen that you have been running around with Quicksilver and some others of the old ones.   :cool:
Sounds like perfect company for you Rey.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
Sounds like there may be a Rawles in the mix too.

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »
Hey CG! I don't quite understand what you mean, but if you mean a wildlife nut who absolutely tries to capture nature content and share it with those who enjoy smiling at nature, then sure! Plus once you actually talk to the guy, it's sorta like talking with any other "formerly angry" person. We can either find common ground or we can continue living with some type of hostility that is seemingly childish.

Sounds like perfect company for you Rey.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Thanks ME! Wait'll you see the NEW stuff I captured from the area! Hanging out with the old ones has been a thrill because some of the retired folk (I guess you'd call 'em) are sharing insight that is falling on the deaf ears of our children who are failing to glean this KNOWLEDGE of the place we are so in love with! It's been a blast hanging out with a 79 year old who has started to live again.

CG, that reminds me! I lost 80 lbs recently without dieting! I didn't exercise either!!! That was a turning point for QS to listen to me about something I had to say which is that... Our health is our wealth. Whatever anyone thinks of QS should not reflect on how they think of (or treat) me... Unless... There is something they don't like about me...

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »
While I don't see eye to eye with ANYONE politically, I do see eye to eye with first responders, veterans, children, parents, site administrators, homeless, wildlife, peacemakers and the not so peaceful as well. That's the only way to bridge any communication. Speaking of bridges, did anyone hear my lyrics in this song? What'd you think?

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:40:08 PM »
And also, that cover art for the video... Misleading, or... Does it somehow work? The image for the cover was not taken from Big Bend, that's the only one that didn't come from there... But anyway, I thought the subject material was relevant and although my focus seemed to be NOT on the Native American dancer, I still think it captures what I am trying to say somehow... It takes beauty to get us to look at the big picture. I welcome all feedback, and I DARE you to try and get my feathers ruffled :)

YOU are after all, my friends. Anyone who loves Big Bend? I would die for and I would willingly go out of my way to help build their children's fort for them, even though I have no interest in children of my own or that might somehow in the future take from my earnings. I would share ANYTHING I have with ANYONE in order to gain the continuation of the health of the place WE love.

Have a fantastic day! If I were in Big Bend I'd be a THOUSAND times happier and you might just want to mock me all the more... But then again, I will be in Big Bend again. Soon... I draw off of that...

HOPE. It is a gorgeous thing! It is the only thing that moves any of us forward :)

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot! Casa Grande, that bat flying over the river? That was from OUR kickass outing in Big Bend! Remember when we had the chairs in the river with Sotol Vista? Man do I miss that kind of outing. More and more my counterparts are having more and more trouble getting outside again. I'm not waiting for ANYONE to go out and play anymore. I'm gonna do like my grandpa told me:

Why don't you just go play with yourself?

We always got a chuckle out of that old perv's jokes. Sometimes I forget where I got my sense of humor from. Anyway, while everyone here is busy getting mad, I brought something pretty cool to the table. Hope SOMEONE likes it genuinely rather than just talking trash like schoolyard bullies.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:23:41 PM »
While I don't see eye to eye with ANYONE politically, I do see eye to eye with first responders, veterans, children, parents, site administrators, homeless, wildlife, peacemakers and the not so peaceful as well. That's the only way to bridge any communication. Speaking of bridges, did anyone hear my lyrics in this song? What'd you think?

You are very talented and I enjoy your photographic and animal whispering skills immensely.  Your contribution to this site is immeasurable.  I too do not select my friends by their politics or I would have far fewer and I have few enough as is.  Common interests are more than enough for me such as a love for Big Bend. 

As my mama once told me, "Do not talk politics or religion in polite company."  Regardless of the difference in our politics, I hope to see Rawles and perhaps spend an evening with him next time I am out there, which I hope will be soon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:36:35 PM by Al »

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
Regardless of the difference in our politics, I hope to see Rawles and perhaps spend an evening with him next time I am out there, which I hope will be soon.

Who is this Rawles they speak of, I asked myself, and did a quick BBC search.

Holy Cow!!!!  I vividly remember that 1996 PBS Trailside episode with Rawles and John Viehman about the Dodson Trail.  I was just beginning my love affair with Big Bend and had two OML's under my belt when I watched it. I'd been backpacking for almost 20 years and had subscribed to Backpacker Magazine for almost a decade. It's a tribute to Rawles' very strong personality that I can still recall several scenes from that half-hour episode in my mind's eye and hear a good chunk of his actual words.  I envy you guys that know him and have walked beside (or is that behind, far behind..... :icon_wink:) him on both sides of the Rio Grande.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »
You know what I'm engaged in researching right now?  The Glenn Springs and Boquillas raids and the Second Punitive Expedition into Mexico.  I just found out about and ordered Rawles Williams' novel, Boquillas Crossing.  Can't wait to read it.  Man, it's a small world.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
It's quite a good read.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
You know what I'm engaged in researching right now?  The Glenn Springs and Boquillas raids and the Second Punitive Expedition into Mexico.  I just found out about and ordered Rawles Williams' novel, Boquillas Crossing.  Can't wait to read it.  Man, it's a small world.

Are you aware of any caves near Glenn Springs? A friend of mineís grandfather participated in those raids. He claims they camped near Glenn Springs. There was a cave nearby and he and friends carved/scraped their names/date into the wall.

Friend has never been to Big Bend so heís always asking me to check it out! Iíll be out there at the end of the month. Have no clue where to look. Probably be my luck to stumble into a rattlesnake den!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »

Are you aware of any caves near Glenn Springs? A friend of mineís grandfather participated in those raids. He claims they camped near Glenn Springs. There was a cave nearby and he and friends carved/scraped their names/date into the wall.

Friend has never been to Big Bend so heís always asking me to check it out! Iíll be out there at the end of the month. Have no clue where to look. Probably be my luck to stumble into a rattlesnake den!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

PTC, I don't know anything about a cave.  Yet.

Bear in mind, I'm no expert on these things, just a very interested rank amateur. I'm really just starting to get serious about the research.  But I'd love to help you, PTC.  If I find anything useful, I'll send it your way. That's fascinating and very cool that you have a friend with connections to the raid.  Was your friend's grandfather participating with the Anglos or the Mexicans or both? 

I hate to piggyback onto this thread, which should really focus on Stingrey's excellent video. Maybe the moderator will see fit to create a new thread (or category) on Big Bend history. I know a lot of us on BBC are interested in, do research on, hike in to explore, and eventually post on the history of the area (I'm thinking of Badknees, Lance, Flash, Marufo, Mule Ears, Casa Grande and, of course, BIBEARCH above all. I'm sure I've left off a few names.)  There is so much to learn and share about the folks that lived and worked and died here before it became a national park.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!