Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Build your wall

• 18 Replies

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
Re: Build your wall
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »
You know what I'm engaged in researching right now?  The Glenn Springs and Boquillas raids and the Second Punitive Expedition into Mexico.  I just found out about and ordered Rawles Williams' novel, Boquillas Crossing.  Can't wait to read it.  Man, it's a small world.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Are you aware of any caves near Glenn Springs? A friend of mineís grandfather participated in those raids. He claims they camped near Glenn Springs. There was a cave nearby and he and friends carved/scraped their names/date into the wall.

Friend has never been to Big Bend so heís always asking me to check it out! Iíll be out there at the end of the month. Have no clue where to look. Probably be my luck to stumble into a rattlesnake den!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

PTC, I don't know anything about a cave.  Yet.

Bear in mind, I'm no expert on these things, just a very interested rank amateur. I'm really just starting to get serious about the research.  But I'd love to help you, PTC.  If I find anything useful, I'll send it your way. That's fascinating and very cool that you have a friend with connections to the raid.  Was your friend's grandfather participating with the Anglos or the Mexicans or both? 

I hate to piggyback onto this thread, which should really focus on Stingrey's excellent video. Maybe the moderator will see fit to create a new thread (or category) on Big Bend history. I know a lot of us on BBC are interested in, do research on, hike in to explore, and eventually post on the history of the area (I'm thinking of Badknees, Lance, Flash, Marufo, Mule Ears, Casa Grande and, of course, BIBEARCH above all. I'm sure I've left off a few names.)  There is so much to learn and share about the folks that lived and worked and died here before it became a national park.

Thanks! He was with the Anglos.  Great idea about a history forum!

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 03:53:52 AM »
Hmmm. "Cave means different things to different people. A boulder pile you can crawl into, a crevice in a cliff, a small alcove...   "Near" Glenn Springs also has different connotations. I know of no caves near Glenn Springs but I know of some things "around" the vicinity that "might" qualify, depending...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Big Bend Chat mobile app

The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
Tom....you know I don't know diddly-squat about any of this.....but I'm wondering if PTC's friend's grandfather might have been either Sgt. Charles E. Smyth who survived the fight. Or one of the Privates named Dempsey and Crosken, both of whom escaped the fight at the last minute of extremity and took shelter in the hills.  Alternatively, the grandfather could be either C.D. Wood (part-owner of the wax factory at Glenn Springs) or his neighbor, Oscar de Montel, both of whom heard the initial gunfire and rushed to investigate in the middle of the night, only to be confronted by the bandits and forced to retreat to the hills where they eventually ran into Dempsey and Crosken and hunkered down until morning.  The sources I've read say all four men took refuge "up on the mesa" (?).  There might have been an alcove where they hid.

Then again, if "they camped near Glenn Springs", the grandfather could have been a member of the tardy relief column of soldiers that showed up the day after the raid, or a member of the later Second Punitive Expedition that pursued the bandits into Mexico.

PTC - it would help a great deal if you could find out your friend's grandfather's name.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
Tom....you know I don't know diddly-squat about any of this.....but I'm wondering if PTC's friend's grandfather might have been either Sgt. Charles E. Smyth who survived the fight. Or one of the Privates named Dempsey and Crosken, both of whom escaped the fight at the last minute of extremity and took shelter in the hills.  Alternatively, the grandfather could be either C.D. Wood (part-owner of the wax factory at Glenn Springs) or his neighbor, Oscar de Montel, both of whom heard the initial gunfire and rushed to investigate in the middle of the night, only to be confronted by the bandits and forced to retreat to the hills where they eventually ran into Dempsey and Crosken and hunkered down until morning.  The sources I've read say all four men took refuge "up on the mesa" (?).  There might have been an alcove where they hid.

Then again, if "they camped near Glenn Springs", the grandfather could have been a member of the tardy relief column of soldiers that showed up the day after the raid, or a member of the later Second Punitive Expedition that pursued the bandits into Mexico.

PTC - it would help a great deal if you could find out your friend's grandfather's name.

Working on it! 

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!