Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Desert Panorama

• 13 Replies

Offline randyhat

• Kangaroo Rat
Desert Panorama
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
This is a pano I shot a couple of years ago.

https://www.rwhphoto.com/Big-Bend/i-GSPdqqs/A

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Desert Panorama
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:46:13 PM »
Very nice.

Calendar nominations are still open.....

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 05:42:54 PM »
I can't seem to place the exact scenery.  :eusa_think: Where was it shot?  :eusa_eh:

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »
Is that Carousel to the extreme right?

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »
I can't seem to place the exact scenery.  :eusa_think: Where was it shot?  :eusa_eh:

Looks like it was taken near the Dorgan House, looking NE back towards the Chisos
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline randyhat

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
It was taken at a pullout off the road between Santa Elena and Castolon.  Yes, I think it was near the Dorgan house.  It is a viewing area with a small parking lot.  The entire pano was a total of about 17 individual hi-res photos stitched together in Photoshop.  And yes, I think the formation on the far right is the Carousel.  There is a map of the mountains  at the viewing area that shows the names of all the prominent formations and their distances from the viewing area.  I wish I had taken a photo of the map for reference.  I think the distance from the viewing area to Emory peak was over 20 miles....but I may be wrong.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
It was taken at a pullout off the road between Santa Elena and Castolon.  Yes, I think it was near the Dorgan house.  It is a viewing area with a small parking lot.  The entire pano was a total of about 17 individual hi-res photos stitched together in Photoshop.  And yes, I think the formation on the far right is the Carousel.  There is a map of the mountains  at the viewing area that shows the names of all the prominent formations and their distances from the viewing area.  I wish I had taken a photo of the map for reference.  I think the distance from the viewing area to Emory peak was over 20 miles....but I may be wrong.

The peak on the far right is Castellan Peak. Emory peak is just left of center. Carousel is not visible.  Its about 17.5 miles to Emory...as the crow flies.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 03:25:45 PM by badknees »
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 09:38:21 PM »
The peak on the far right is Castellan Peak. Emory peak is just left of center. Carousel is not visible.  Its about 17.5 miles to Emory...as the crow flies.

I do believe you're correct.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:01:00 PM »

Looks like it was taken near the Dorgan House, looking NE back towards the Chisos

Thanks. Not a familiar viewpoint for me. What's the pointy peak near the center I wonder?

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:53:30 PM »

Thanks. Not a familiar viewpoint for me. What's the pointy peak near the center I wonder?
Looks like picacho peak off the Dodson trail with trap mountain near mule ears just to the right of it

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »

Could that be Elephant Tusk?  It's in the proper relationship (seems to be) to the Rim on the right

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »

Could that be Elephant Tusk?  It's in the proper relationship (seems to be) to the Rim on the right

Picacho peak

It's not possible to see Elephant Tusk from there. The Sierra Quemada are taller than the Tusk and are in the way.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:57:49 AM by badknees »
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
Like it

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!