Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

In the backcountry...

• 10 Replies

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
In the backcountry...
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:24:51 PM »
Alright, just sharing more photos....all made in May 2003:

Paradise, Fresno campsite, doesn't get much better than this

Mariscal Mine looming

Another shot at the mine

My friend Grant at Fresno, taking advantage of some shade

I'm on the left (beer is good)

Sun going down from Fresno

The moon coming up over Mariscal Mountain

Sunrise

A rather desolate section of the Black Gap Road

More of the Black Gap

We peed on the rocks to mark where the tires needed to go :oops:

It was WAY worse than it looks.  Anyone that's been down the Black Gap is familiar with this....right south of Glenn Springs....say no more

Back at Fresno

Sunset along the Maverick Road
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:21:51 AM by bdann »
WATER, It does a body good.

SHANEA

Inginuity!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »
Now that's what I call inginuity

We peed on the rocks to mark where the tires needed to go  

Any chance you are from the Aggieland School of Engineering?  I guess you peed Shiner Boch!  It looks HOT out there, not scorching hot, but hot.

Now, I like your pics!  I like people, trucks, and equipment in the pictures of the desert.  Outstanding.  Two thumbs up!

I really like the shot of the desolete strech of Black Gap road.

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Re: Inginuity!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 11:49:47 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Now that's what I call inginuity

We peed on the rocks to mark where the tires needed to go  

Better than peeing on the tires to mark where the rocks go!
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
Great Pics
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »
Your pics made me wish that my next trip to BB could be before November.  :(  I am thinking about running down there the last week of April but wondering if it will be too hot.  I know I can get back there the first week of November.  Again, wonderful pics, especially the sunrise/sunset shots. :)   No comment on the peeing on the rocks  :wink:

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
In the backcountry...
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 03:48:20 PM »
The hottest trip I ever made was in July.  The heat was inescapable if you weren't in the Chisos.  We camped at RGV one night, there were maybe four sites occupied.  it was so hot in the afternoon, just zero activity.  we just layed out in the grass and snoozed all afternoon.  Inside the RGV store their thermometer was reading 90+ in the heat of the afternoon...that's INSIDE the store.

I'm considering a trip in May, heat be damned.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
In the backcountry...
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »
Quote from: "bdann"
The hottest trip I ever made was in July.  The heat was inescapable if you weren't in the Chisos.  We camped at RGV one night, there were maybe four sites occupied.  it was so hot in the afternoon, just zero activity.  we just layed out in the grass and snoozed all afternoon.  Inside the RGV store their thermometer was reading 90+ in the heat of the afternoon...that's INSIDE the store.

I'm considering a trip in May, heat be damned.

i climbed vernon bailey 4 days from June. it wasn't unbearable in teh chisos, and it was just pretty hot on the floor. i wouldn't mind venturing there that time of year again  :oops:

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
April weather
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »
I looked at the averages for April and the website said the average high was about 81.  It didn't say if this was in the desert or the mountains.  Perhaps they average the averages from around the park?? :D

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Mariscal Mine by Moonlight
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
One of my favorite nights at BBNP was a stay at Fresno. It was a full moon that night. We left our headlamps at the campsite and trudged down the road to the outbuildings surrounding the old mine. The desert takes on a surreal appearance under a bright moon, and the buildings cast some eerie shadows. We walked around for probably an hour or more before returning to camp. Then the wind kicked up -- not much protection from wind or sun at Fresno.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
In the backcountry...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:11:48 AM »
There's something to be said for truck camping, bdann.  Also, something to be said for digi photoging. Nice series.
Location Location Location

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
Re: April weather
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »
Quote from: "lisasmu05"
I looked at the averages for April and the website said the average high was about 81.  It didn't say if this was in the desert or the mountains.  Perhaps they average the averages from around the park?? :D

I'd like to know that myself. I went to the park once around the first of April and temperatures were reported as high as 103.  :shock:  I assume that this is above normal temperature. The daily report for today lists a high temperature of 90 at RGV and 70 in the Basin. It also lists .03 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.  :)

Hey bdann, is your truck two wheel drive?
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Re: April weather
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »
Quote from: "uh_clem"
Hey bdann, is your truck two wheel drive?

The Ranger in the photos isn't mine, but it's 4 wheel drive.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!