Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Warning Signs

• 6 Replies

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
Warning Signs
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:08 AM »
It rained about 1.5 inches in the Chisos while I was in the park. Apparently that's nearly the entire rainfall for the year so far. It was 109F in the shade at RGV when I photographed the warning sign at the trail to hot springs. The manager at the lodge told me that earlier in the month the park service conducted four search and rescues on that trail.
Be well and above all be safe.
Imre
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:35:02 PM by Imre »
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline bam.bam

• Roadrunner
Re: Warning Signs
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  One thing I always do prior to going to BB is condition myself. I will go to my local park and walk an hour in the "heat of the day" for two weeks prior to the trip.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »
The manager at the lodge told me that earlier in the month the park service conducted four search and recoveries on that trail.
I can believe that. The Hot Springs Canyon Trail was the hottest November hike I've ever done. Air temp was "only" 80 or so, but it felt like 100. Can't imagine it'd be much fun in these temps.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
The Hot Spring Trail, from the Daniel Ranch end, can sure feel like a reflector oven. I have always turned around after reaching the overlook (~1/2 mile).

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
The Hot Spring Trail, from the Daniel Ranch end, can sure feel like a reflector oven. I have always turned around after reaching the overlook (~1/2 mile).

Agreed! I've done it once, no need to do it again. So many dayhikers think of it as a hike they can just knock off quickly as a little "extra" during their visit. Partly that's the fault of the NPS for failing to contextualize it properly. Glad to see they're correcting that.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Yeah, I've done that hike in the heat of the day before and the exposed limestone in the first uphill section is HOT! Think about what the Marufo Vega is like right now?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »

Yeah....and the Dodson!
Wake me when it's time to go.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!