Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Photos from my last trip Jan/Feb 2017

• 34 Replies

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Roadrunner
Re: Photos from my last trip Jan/Feb 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
Scott, you should change your user name to Ansel. People would seriously wonder if you are him reincarnated. Fabulous photos!
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
Hey thanks man. I'm just doing what I'm doing.
Scott

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »

Scott

Offline gmonroe

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 06:45:47 AM »
Love the B&W photos.  I've been working in Fine Print B&W since the early 80's and just set up my dark room to digital last year.  The technology is just now catching up to the quality required for Fine Print making.  Outstanding photos!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
Thanks! I love working in the darkroom. I mostly do Lith prints but I haven't had it set up for about a year now because I moved. I also do wetplate collodion which is a lot of fun. But there again I haven't done it in awhile. I have the whole mobile darkbox,etc setup. I would love to take it out to big bend.
Printing is getting to be really nice. I'm all set up with the latest round of tech to make them the way I want. I haven't really had anyone want one though....haha.
If you need a printer profile, my friend Michael Gordon makes great printer profiles and shows you his workflow which is excellent and I've adopted myself. http://www.michael-gordon.com/page/customRGBprofile/

Scott

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
Thanks! I love working in the darkroom. I mostly do Lith prints but I haven't had it set up for about a year now because I moved. I also do wetplate collodion which is a lot of fun. But there again I haven't done it in awhile. I have the whole mobile darkbox,etc setup. I would love to take it out to big bend.
Printing is getting to be really nice. I'm all set up with the latest round of tech to make them the way I want. I haven't really had anyone want one though....haha.
If you need a printer profile, my friend Michael Gordon makes great printer profiles and shows you his workflow which is excellent and I've adopted myself. http://www.michael-gordon.com/page/customRGBprofile/

And if you want the BEST photography tour of Death Valley get Michael Gordon to give you one of his one on one tours. Prepare to be exhausted and happy at the end of the week though. His energy knows no bounds  :great:

Michael's body of work is outstanding

I've been working on learning the digital negative and platinum process for about 3 years now. I saw some original platinum prints in John Paul Caponigro's studio a few years ago and I was hooked. You don't need "dark" to do platinum. About the time I got ready to really start making negatives my 4900 clogged and this time it appears to be for good. I'm still looking for a good printer that will work with Piezography inks and that is supported by them.

I love my 4x5(s) but admittedly will haul out the DSLR before I reach for a film holder and camera. 8x10 camera prices are out of my range otherwise I would have one and not need digital negatives for platinum

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
I never did get into platinum printing but wanted to. I also wanted to make digital negatives for lith work but never got around to it! Last summer I bought a p600 and I'm satisfied with using abw. I used to have piezo inks and a 2200 but decided to move away from them on my next iteration.

Here's one from oso/tapado canyon

Scott

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »

That's gorgeous!

As you know, Piezo inks are wonderful but (and I'm sure you know this too), you can get the same results from ABW... at least as far as the buying public knows (not many of those around either). I think Piezo inks are better for dig negs but I've never compared them

I've looked at the P series but I was hoping for a replacement for the 4900. As I understand it, the P series fits between the 3880 and 4900 (but I'm not sure how much difference there really is) and I like being able to use 17" roll paper

I never did get into platinum printing but wanted to. I also wanted to make digital negatives for lith work but never got around to it! Last summer I bought a p600 and I'm satisfied with using abw. I used to have piezo inks and a 2200 but decided to move away from them on my next iteration.

Here's one from oso/tapado canyon

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
You'll have to look into the differences but the p800 does 17" rolls.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1264154-REG/epson_scp800des_surecolor_p800_designer_edition.html

Scott

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
You'll have to look into the differences but the p800 does 17" rolls.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1264154-REG/epson_scp800des_surecolor_p800_designer_edition.html

I'll be darned, it sure does. I completely missed that.

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »
and it has a $300 rebate....there is a difference in inks though
11 UltraChrome HDX Pigment Inks with LLK vs 9 UltraChrome HD Pigment-Based Inks
Scott

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »
Yeah... the 11 inks vs 9 inks is what has kept me on the fence. That and the Piezo guys change inksets after every @$)*$@# workshop and it takes me about 6 months to get unpissed at them  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Schroeder

• Coyote
    • Schroederworks
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
When I upgraded I had an email exchange with Jon and decided to just go with abw.
The difference 9vs11 inks may be hard to really perceive but companies like Epson will push for the higher end model. I guess it might also offer bulk inks which can save some cash.
I went with the p600 abw to save some money and can have fun making smaller prints. If there is a reason for a larger print,  I'll just pay Michael to do it for me because I know and trust his attention to quality prints.
Scott

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »

When I upgraded I had an email exchange with Jon and decided to just go with abw.

I've had a few "exchanges" with Jon myself  :icon_wink:  I will probably get back to Piezo strictly for the dig negs and platinum. I've done a couple of platinum workshops with Don Messec, Making Art Safely, and his system is centered around Piezo negs. However... 11 inks is NOT necessary for the Piezo system. In fact, they don't use all of the 11 inks in the 4900. The P600 is definitely something I am considering. At the moment I don't have the room for the printing equipment that I "want" so it's the most likely candidate

The difference 9vs11 inks may be hard to really perceive but companies like Epson will push for the higher end model. I guess it might also offer bulk inks which can save some cash.
I went with the p600 abw to save some money and can have fun making smaller prints. If there is a reason for a larger print,  I'll just pay Michael to do it for me because I know and trust his attention to quality prints.

I've done too many printing workshops and put too much work into making fine prints to give up on it now. I've lost track of time but it's been at least an 8 year "mission".

No doubt about it, Michael does amazing work. I don't know how he finds the time for it. And, when I really need a couple dozen prints for a show I usually need them at the last minute.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!