Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Sunrise on the Rim

• 8 Replies

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
Sunrise on the Rim
« on: January 24, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »

A sunrise shot from near the NE4 site back in August, 2003
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 10:02:08 AM »
nice shot. would be even better if you can edit out the date stamp at the bottom.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:12:13 AM »
here, Don,

I enhanced it for you:

SHANEA

TO OR NOT TO
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:17:42 PM »
To date stamp, or not to date stamp.  Personally, I like date stamps on my digital pictures.  My Kodak does them, my new Olympus does not for some reason.  I really like the date stamp on them so that I can look at them and see how things have changed over the years.  I planted some oak seedlings about 10 years ago and take pictures of them several times a year - nice to easily compare back how they have gone from 1" to about 20'.   8)  8)

QUESTION - what did you use to enhance that picture, nice job.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 01:10:59 PM »
what did you use to enhance that picture, nice job.

thanks, photoshop techniques such as sponging, dodging, burning and patching ;)

sorry, i'll have to be a snob on this one....no date on my pics  :P

SHANEA

SNOB!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't call that a snob, just a personal preference.  BUT, I found out recently it is easy to "lose" the JPEG details that come with a picture when saved to disk.  If you copy/move/resize etc. on it or do something else, you might lose the actual JPEG file stamps associated with it and then you don't have a clue as to when.  Of course, judging by my photo subjects of gas station prices, etc. - that's probably why I like a date stamp - I remember back in ought six (06), gas was only $2.50 a gallon at PJ.  Now, in 16, (2016), it's $9.75 a gallon.

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »
right ;)

i shoot in RAW image format, which won't lose the original shooting data :)

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 03:08:31 PM »
The picture was taken with a Minolta point and shoot type camera (I'm not real photo-terminology-illiterate), anyway it was developed like that and plus it easily dates the photo for me.  I have a nice Nikon digital now and just love it!
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline MarkB

• Black Bear
    • Big Bend Photos
Sunrise on the Rim
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 05:49:45 PM »
David: I don't think you are being a snob not wanting to include date or time stamps. It definitely is a matter of personal preference. On a misc. note, I have never seen a photo editor or company to date that would accept them for publication or useage except in rare instances.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!