Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

addiction h***, this is love

• 26 Replies

Offline bbbrain

• Coyote
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:57:29 PM »
since returning home from my first trip to bibe, i've read and re-read all the various books, brochures and maps i picked up while i was there.  i've spent an inordinate amount of time on this and related websites, and i've even started watching western movies on tv - for the scenery.  is this normal, or do i need to seek counseling?

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Re: addiction h***, this is love
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
Quote from: "bbbrain"
since returning home from my first trip to bibe, i've read and re-read all the various books, brochures and maps i picked up while i was there.  i've spent an inordinate amount of time on this and related websites, and i've even started watching western movies on tv - for the scenery.  is this normal, or do i need to seek counseling?

:lol:  we are the great enablers.....welcom e!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »
Sounds familiar.

Yes, you definitely need counseling.  

And the folks on this forum are the perfect counselors.
"No, that did not happen to me.  You have me confused with someone else."

BigBendHiker

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »

Take heart and welcome aboard.  This is quite normal behavior for those who love Big Bend and the Trans-Pecos Regions of Texas.  

I went so far as to order a chunk of cinnabar (mercury ore) from a fellow in Terlingua (the ore came from the tailings of the old Rainbow Mine).  The cinnabar is now on display on my bookshelf.  

BBH

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
counseling.... yes... your first session will be held in Big Bend....just start planning your next trip now and decided on where in the park you want to have your counseling session and im sure others will join in....

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »
Once you have visited the park, you will find yourself in one of two modes for the rest of your life:

1. Actually in the park, enjoying its wonders.

2. Planning your next visit and reading these forums.

No counseling needed. It's perfectly normal... I hope :D

Offline tinneyr

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »
Welcome home.  Incidently, I thought I was the only one that watched westerns for the scenery. :D

Offline Goldilocks

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »

This was exactly my first experience, minus the western movies...

If you need counseling, then so do we all!  :wink:  :lol:

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »
Only known treatment is continued exposure to the stimulus. I've gone back more than two dozen times, but I still think about Big Bend every day.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »
Hahahaaa :!: ...welcome to my world,amigo :roll:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

chisos_muse

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 11:01:14 PM »
Big Bend IS your counseling......... . 8)

Welcome!

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »
I am afraid many of us suffer from your same problem.  Some of the common traits are:
1- you have maps and guidebooks hidden under your bedroom mattress instead of what used to be there when you were a teenager.
2- you have at least 1 if not 2 maps of the Park, Geological Maps or Photo's displayed in your house despite what your spouse and guests think about it "clashing with the refinement of your interior decorating".
3- you come back from a trip to the park with blisters on your feet, sore legs, sore back, cactus spines deeply broken-off below skin level, and having driven across most of Texas, but a week or two later you want to go back again.
4- you are constantly annoyed by people you meet (many from Texas!) who have never been to the Park, don't even know where it is, have never heard of it, or think it's all flat desert.   These same people say "it's too far to drive" and then drive to Florida to go to the theme parks or drive to Chicago to visit family.  Aargh.. don't get me started.
5- you have been to the Houston Museum of Natural Science where they have a large diorama of West Texas wildlife with a very big landscape photo taken from the S. Rim as a backdrop and you have looked at this long enough to notice that the photo is reversed and that E Tusk is East of Talley Mtn instead of West where it should be.  And this bothers you but you know it shouldn't because it just fits the diorama better that way.
6- you have taken the Trails Illustrated Map and marked all the canyons/arroyos/trails you have taken and made a "life list" of things you haven't done yet but you never make much progress on the list because you don't have enough time and constantly keep going back to old favorites.  

No I am not at all obsessive about it... TWWG

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:04:35 AM »
1- check
2- check!
3- check
4- check
5- :-k :lol:
6- check mate!

Offline okiehiker

• Black Bear
  • cryptantha crassipses
.and...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
7. you have the trails illutrated map as reading material in your bathroom.
Funny... I have a story about that...

Offline Boojum1

• Diamondback
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 12:08:14 PM »
Your prescription is 801,163 acres of group therapy.
Pithy quote free for years

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!