Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Ap recommendations

• 6 Replies

Offline TxAv8r

• Kangaroo Rat
Ap recommendations
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:54:38 PM »
Howdy, all.
Iím headed to B.B. this week.
I been a couple of time but my roommate hasnít, so we are making a quick trip just for a basic introduction.  We are staying in the chisos lodge fri and sat and plan to do some simple exploring.   Neither of pretend to be any sort of hard core naturalist.   But we donít mind getting sweaty wand dirty (snicker)

Do yíall have any apps that yíall might recommend?

We wanna unplug for most of the visit, but if thereís something that cold be particularly helpful or entertaining, please let us know.

Iím looking forward to the trip and am happy to see that yíall apparently had some of that wet stuff fall out of the sky. 

Thx
Cole

Take nothing but photos....leave nothing but foot prints (and as few of those as possible).

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Ap recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
I'm interested to see what recommendations you get. I used Audubon's Texas Nature app for a few years and enjoyed it. It covers a lot of material, though the idea of one app to cover all of Texas is pretty crazy. Necessarily, this one is a mile-wide and a couple of inches deep.

http://www.apppicker.com/reviews/13534/audubon-nature-texas-app-review-a-must-have-guide-for-every-nature-enthusiast
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »
I find the oops-I-left-my-phone-in-the-car app to be particularly helpful and the paper-map-in-my-hand app as I walk to the South Rim to be a pretty good combo!  :great:

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
I find the oops-I-left-my-phone-in-the-car app to be particularly helpful and the paper-map-in-my-hand app as I walk to the South Rim to be a pretty good combo!  :great:

:s_laugh:

Astronomy apps are always fun at night, especially in a place as dark as Big Bend. I've used the first two listed in the following link and enjoyed them both.

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-best-astronomy-apps-for-amateurs-2013-10

Offline TxAv8r

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:33 PM »
Absolutely

We prefer to look around, not down.

One point of curiosity....

When I was a kid (many many years ago) I visited the bend and was amazed at absolutely enormous millipedes.   Easily the size of a pencil.   Seemed to be something like a migration season cuz there were LOTS of em.

But I didnít see them in other visits.

Are they a rarity or have I just been unlucky

Centipedes were impressive too.

I was delighted to see a vinigaroon on my last visit a few years ago.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »

When I was a kid (many many years ago) I visited the bend and was amazed at absolutely enormous millipedes.   Easily the size of a pencil.   Seemed to be something like a migration season cuz there were LOTS of em.

But I didnít see them in other visits.

Are they a rarity or have I just been unlucky

The millipedes are definitely still there. I haven't noticed a change in abundance over the years. However, you might have been there during a time of unusual favorability.  You should at least be seeing shedded exoskeletons.

And that's awfully cool about the vinagaroon!!!

Offline TxAv8r

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:36:58 PM »
Ohhhh....thatís just tooooo cool

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!