Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend NP CLOSED!

• 53 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Big Bend NP CLOSED!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »
Now they are threatening to arrest our WW II vets:

http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=953619#.UkwNG-Qo4dW

These are the same political heroes that are fighting to take over the health care system.  Can't wait to be hung up on when I ask for an appointment with a doctor like the person in this story was hung up on.     :great:

"He says they are considering going ahead with the trip even if the government is still on shutdown, but when he called the parks service, he was told they would face arrest. "I said, are you kidding me? You're going to arrest a 90/91-year-old veteran from seeing his memorial? If it wasn't for them it wouldn't be there. She said, 'That's correct sir.'"

When Armstrong asked for her name, he says she did not give it to him and then promptly hung up the phone."

More fuel :  http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/01/obama-admin-knew-about-wwii-veterans-request-and-rejected-it/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:46:15 AM by elhombre »
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »
Sorry to break out my Moderator Voice, but it's gotta be done. :ranger:

Ok folks, I know it's impossible to disconnect this topic from politics, as they are intertwined, but let's at least try to keep this to Big Bend discussion.

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:50 AM »
Big Bend Ranch is still open. It's a decent option. I'm keeping it in my back pocket in case this thing goes past October 31, my Houston departure. I've got to go somewhere!

I have a BBR trip loosely planned.
Drive the Jeep all the way to Guale Mesa to camp and take a leisurely hike down to Rancherias Springs for an overnight. I hear there's a native american site along the way somewhere. They will only tell you exactly where in person. Doing short excursions might be a fun change. I would still like to retrace where and exactly how I got lost that one time.

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
sooo, if you see the sign that says road closed, does that mean you can enter the park on foot by not walking on the road, but up some wash or something? I mean, your not on the road.
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

SHANEA

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
Big Bend Ranch is still open. It's a decent option.

It's an OUTSTANDING option.  There is so much to see and do at BBRSP with miles and miles of roads and trails.  Drive the river road up from Terlingua and enjoy the views and stop off at all of the pull-outs - the scenic vistas.  Be sure to stop off at the local merchants and purchase gasoline and wares to keep them going.  In many respects, BBRSP is better than BIBE as it is always desolate.  The landscape and scenery is awesome and diverse.  Be sure to hike up OSO peak and sign the "guest register" - the summit log.

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »
Big Bend Ranch is still open. It's a decent option.

It's an OUTSTANDING option.  There is so much to see and do at BBRSP with miles and miles of roads and trails.  Drive the river road up from Terlingua and enjoy the views and stop off at all of the pull-outs - the scenic vistas.  Be sure to stop off at the local merchants and purchase gasoline and wares to keep them going.  In many respects, BBRSP is better than BIBE as it is always desolate.  The landscape and scenery is awesome and diverse.  Be sure to hike up OSO peak and sign the "guest register" - the summit log.

Yeah, I'm taking your advice Shane and not canceling my plans.  Headed to the state park today.  First timer!

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Plus, you can bring your dog! You may need to provide some foot protection if you're hiking very far.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »
And, if there is no county burn ban, you can build a fire at campsites.
It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »
And the award for best actor in a dramatic role goes to.........

www.VirtualBigBend. com - now mobile friendly!

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
And the award for best actor in a dramatic role goes to.........

www.VirtualBigBend. com - now mobile friendly!
You're on a roll on the Friends of Big Bend Facebook page!   :icon_biggrin:

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
Golly gee! The parks are closed. The NPS doing what it does best...control you whether you need it or not.

As always, the public simply cannot be allowed to wander around a park if the people in funny hats aren't there to WATCH you.

Doesn't matter that it's public land.

Now, while all non-essential (and the NPS is at the absolute lowest level of non-essential) federal offices are closed until the community organizer-in-chief gets his petty, narcissistic way, you still can go to USFS and BLM lands in the real west...where just because the office is closed doesn't mean you can't go out and use the land.

Of course, if you do, you will have to be able to function on your own, without the hand-holding and extreme oversight that is the hallmark of the NPS. You have to be self-sufficient and able to figure things out without visitor centers, trail guides and campfire programs. You have to be comfortable with being UNSUPERVISED.

But, it will be a real outdoor experience, not the carefully managed one the NPS offers when they allow you to be on THEIR turf.

Good for the WWII vets that ignored the NPS in DC. I actually was surprised the NPS got out of the way. They don't often demonstrate that level of understanding of the public, because they make rules and act as if the public doesn't matter. Somebody must have clued them in that to try and block the vets was going to be an even worse public relations disaster than it already was.

Idiots.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline alan in shreveport

• Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
  What about a "movement" whereby everyone states their opinion of the current federales by using the only thing we have left - our vote. I intend , and urge everyone else , to vote against EVERY incumbent, regardless of their party - or yours. Lets force 'Term limits". How much worse could it be ?
  Anybody else ?

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 11:32:40 PM »
Its all about the money...
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
I would say it isn't about the money: 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303492504579115970922504940.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

This story is about locals offering up their money to open the parks back up, but the man won't have it ( bad servants, bad!).  To keep it about BB, do you think the locals in Terlingua (or Texas) would do this, and how much would they need? 

If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »
  What about a "movement" whereby everyone states their opinion of the current federales by using the only thing we have left - our vote. I intend , and urge everyone else , to vote against EVERY incumbent, regardless of their party - or yours. Lets force 'Term limits". How much worse could it be ?
  Anybody else ?

No.  The logic of dumping incumbents 'just because' and voting in newbies 'just because' is as productive as straight ticket voting.  Both ideas- in my opinion- point to a majority voting population that  really doesn't want to mess with issues.  Thus we are loaded down with a government full of uneducated talking heads that look and sound good for a party. 

I wonder how many of our leaders - outside of our Senators- have sat and read through George Washington's farewell address... even in 1796 that man was dead on.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!