Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Bought a popup

• 16 Replies

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Bought a popup
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
Damn I am getting old. Bought a popup this weekend and planning a spring break trip. (We're teachers.) Currently there are no reservable sites available. I never worried about finding a spot when tent camping, there was always zone options, now I worry. Arriving Sunday or Monday, what is the worse reasonable expectation and what is probable? We would prefer the Basin, have spent many happy nights at RGV, never at Cottonwood.

Of course we are going to keep checking the reservations.

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk
Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Bought a popup
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
Worst case . . . when you get to PJ ask a ranger.  Perhaps an easy access primitive site will be available that you can have all to yourselves after the long drive.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
Ya or stay in Marathon at the Marathon Motel; they have places for camping with a pop up I think;

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
Basin campground? Highly unlikely to find an open spot on Sunday or Monday of Spring Break. Maybe if you were there early Sunday morning and caught someone just leaving. RGV and Cottonwood may be full as well. There are several "camping" options in Study Butte, as well as the Stillwell Ranch outside of Persimmon Gap. Follow Al's advice and check in with the visitor center for the latest campground updates. I'd say call as you enter the park to get a heads up (432-477-1158).

SHANEA

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:23:17 AM »
Want a truly unique camping experience in the West Texas Trans Pecos Big Bend Region - that always has openings during Spring Break - then partake in BGWMA - Black Gap Wildlife Management Area - it's not too far from Big Bend National Park, all things considered - considering how far Big Bend is from everything to start with.  I've had my pop-up out there many times.  Be sure to look at the rules and regulations regarding limited use permits, etc.  It's a very long ways to Alpine or Fort Stockton to get one.  BTW - BGWMA is very desolate - the fish camps also provide a great place to go camping - but, you must be 101% self sufficient. 

Another great alternative is Big Bend Ranch State Park which is just a fab place - on par with Big Bend - but w/o the crowds.  It is not close to Big Bend itself, but there is so much to do and explore there - in splendid isolation.

What type of pop-up did you get?  I have a Starcraft 11RT off-road model and a Honda EU3000 generator.  I'm actually looking to get a new camper this year, I'm tired of having to pop-it up all the time to winterize-de-winterize.  I want something that is pretty beefy, but that I can stop and setup a camp on a whim.  I've scoped out a Keystone Outback 230RS that I'm pondering.  I'm planning on going to the Houston RV show in a few weeks... 

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »
I scoped out the Stillwell ranch last spring break.  They weren't full.

I think you could get pretty much any camper to the Government Springs sites.  I checked them out last year....empty.

Last year even though the signs on the basin road said everything was supposedly booked, there were tons of empty campsites at RGV.  Camp hosts may be able to put you in an unoccupied site.

Last year, I pieced together a couple of single-night reservations at RGV plus 1 night in the BBML. But the plan was to try to get a backcountry road site.  When we arrived, my wife wasn't feeling well.  We found an opening at the Lodge for the first night and secured La Noria #1 for the second night and following.  We were able to give our site at RGV to a couple who had driven in without a reservation.  Later in the week we drove by and the site was empty so they apparently got themselves into something they liked even better.

I say lock yourself into something even if not ideal.  Get to the park as early as possible and try to get what you really want, then release what you had for the person who shows up without a backup plan.  On the other hand you could stay home and catch up on some honey-dos.

-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
On the other hand you could stay home and catch up on some honey-dos.
Dude, better prepare to turn in your man card with statements like that. :eusa_naughty:

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Bought a popup
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »
Lol thanks Kev. I have a Coleman Tacoma. This would be my fourth or fifth spring break and have always gotten a tent site. But we could stay on any site. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Bought a popup
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Has anyone compiled a roadside campsite or RGV  review similar to the Chisos Basin list?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »
Has anyone compiled a roadside campsite or RGV  review similar to the Chisos Basin list?
Not that I know of. Looks like you just volunteered. ;)

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Bought a popup
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
Can I write off the research lol

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
Fort Worth

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »
http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Rio-Grande-Village

FM, excellent link!  RGV can be divided into two areas: the common area for most trailers and campers and then the sites for vehicles and tents in the mesquite grove generally numbered in the 30's which are individual sites with a comparative amount of privacy.

Moderator Note: followups on the idea for a new board for discussion/reviews of backcountry campsites has been moved to http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/general-questions-and-answers/new-board-for-backcountry-sites/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:31:56 AM by RichardM »

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Re: bought a popup
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
I am assuming if high clearance is required I can't get my pop up there. Agree?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:29:25 AM by RichardM »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: bought a popup
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
I am assuming if high clearance is required I can't get my pop up there. Agree?
That's a safe assumption. Some popups are designed for off-road travel, but unless you're sure of your ability to get in and out you're better off sticking to places where high clearance isn't required. I'd hate to think what it'd cost to have someone come tow your popup out if it got stuck deep in the backcountry.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!