Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Cell Phone Coverage in the Park

• 152 Replies

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
Re: Cell Phone Coverage in the Park
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
I wonder if the technology of cell phone coverage has improved to increase coverage or they have added towers.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
I noticed a trend between November 2015 and November 2016.

Last year from the park entrance to Panther Junction there was nary a signal to be found, maybe one bar as you got close to the Junction, but mostly no service. This year, 3-4 bars all the way over the same turf. Ack. I echo some of the sentiments above. Last thing I want to do when I'm out hiking in some gorgeous place like BiBe is to receive a text or phone call. No thanks. I come out here to get AWAY from all that crap. I live online--it's my day job. I put the iPhone on airplane mode for the entire OML. Think I searched for a signal around Homer Wilson because I thought I read you could get one. Didn't. Felt it was probably a good idea to reassure my wife I had not been eaten by a mountain lion.

:dance:

I agree with your observations about creeping "improvement" in service.  That is my experience too.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Shocky1352

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:05 AM »
In my 2017 trip to Big Bend NP, I had strong cell phone coverage (AT&T), at 2 places I can remember, KBar #2 campsite, and the Sotol Vista overlook.

Sometimes when cresting a high point on the road I'd get a "ding" indicating a message.or text was finally deliverableto my phone, but the two places I mentioned were the only places I can verify.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!