Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Decisions decisions.. Mid Jan-mid feb

• 3 Replies

Offline robmaz49

• Kangaroo Rat
Decisions decisions.. Mid Jan-mid feb
« on: November 30, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
Hello friends! Every year for the past 5ish years my wife and i go to big bend for a longer weekend. Typcially 3.5 days and 2 nights.  Hopefully get the 3rd night this year. We plan to go anywhere from mid Jan to mid Feb depending on weather and work. We have started back country hiking/camping and love it. We are decent with topographs. No exact GPS but have some ability to use. We always over pack. Our packs weigh more than they should but we like the comfort of the unexpected. We have done the OML once and a few other multi night camps. We want to do the OML again now that we know what to expect but also are very interested in the marufa Vega and Mesa de anguila. That time of year What would be yalls opinion of the best trail to do. My wife prefers to pack all water so she may have up to 5 liters maybe 6 at any given time. I will filter water any chance i get so I will carry 2-3 at any given time. Also we are always up for other options as we love every part of big bend. Thanks for any comments!

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Decisions decisions.. Mid Jan-mid feb
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
I'd recommend MDA, but they are both great, can't go wrong with either.  MDA is a little more adventure-ey

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
MV and MdA are the same but different.

Both are several steps off of the beaten path from the OML and less scripted than the OML, and both put you into gorgeous country.

Both have high adventure quotients, but I agree with Steelfrog about the higher AQ of MdA.

The MV, as you know, is a lollypop loop that goes in and comes out at a fairly set duration (very doable as two days/one night).

The MdA can be treated as an in and out of similar duration, but can also be customized with side adventures into a longer trip.

It is hard to put words together to say that the anything is wilder than the MV, but the MdA is, I think, wilder. 

There are vista views (stop, take your breath away, stare, lose track of time) up on MdA that will stay with you for the rest of your life and that will, like a magnet of the soul, keep drawing you back.

Do one this year and the other next year.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:10:58 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 02:46:08 PM »
I have done both, but you get more bang for your buck with the MDA, it's an amazing place. It feels grand and majestic. You can spend days up there. MV is a leisurely two day trip or a one day trip.

Do the MDA this time and do MV next time.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!