Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

End of Spring-Break Crunch????

• 13 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
End of Spring-Break Crunch????
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
It seems as if a lot of Texas schools got spring break out of the way pretty early in March, but I don't know about the other schools that feed kids toward Big Bend this time of year.

QUESTION: is there any way of knowing when the spring-break crunch will be over this year??

Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: End of Spring-Break Crunch????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »
Aren't you in the Park about now?  :eusa_think:

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »
Here is a listing of all college spring breaks.  While there are some that go as late as the third week of April the bulk of the big schools are over after this coming week (3/16-3/24).
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »

It crashed Flash.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »
Here is a listing of all college spring breaks.  While there are some that go as late as the third week of April the bulk of the big schools are over after this coming week (3/16-3/24).

Can't you imagine that the earth under spring breakers feet is welcoming this news?

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »

This is a really valuable resource - thanks.

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »

Looks like I値l be sharing Grand Staircase-Escalante with the debauched hordes from MIT.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »

Looks like I値l be sharing Grand Staircase-Escalante with the debauched hordes from MIT.

I think your pretty safe then.  Could be snowy and cold there, might be the bigger problem. 
no shade, no water

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »

It crashed Flash.

Ouch! Regrouping and replanning, no doubt!

Offline Austrim

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »

But every Texas school besides Texas State and University of Texas at Austin have Spring Break this week (3/9-3/17)... I would think that it would be a majority of Texans that would visit Big Bend?  Would love to hear reports from boots on the ground this week to see how crowded it is.  Me and some friends (we aren't in college hahaha) are heading there Thursday thru Sunday (3/21-3/24) next week.  Should we be nervous?

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 11:04:58 AM »

But every Texas school besides Texas State and University of Texas at Austin have Spring Break this week (3/9-3/17)... I would think that it would be a majority of Texans that would visit Big Bend?  Would love to hear reports from boots on the ground this week to see how crowded it is.  Me and some friends (we aren't in college hahaha) are heading there Thursday thru Sunday (3/21-3/24) next week.  Should we be nervous?

I would still be some nervous, still lots of big eastern and northern schools on spring break next week.  The few times I was out there at spring break there were lots of out of state plates.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:52:17 AM by mule ears »
no shade, no water

Offline Mesquito

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »

I think your pretty safe then.  Could be snowy and cold there, might be the bigger problem.

I know it. The trip is locked in and looks like conditions are really sketchy up there. We値l just do what we can.  The plan was to have no plan.   It痴 looking like a very good plan right now.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »

About eight years ago I ran into a group of young female MIT students who were climbing Pinnacles in, uh, "nonstandard" hiking outfits.  Being old has its advantages.  I actually got close enough to them to enjoy several refreshing conversations.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 04:05:01 PM »

It crashed Flash.

Ouch! Regrouping and replanning, no doubt!

Yes.  After strongly considering throwing my backpacking equipment into the pond where some of my golf clubs still remain, I am regrouping and replanning.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!