Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Fire near Castolon

• 34 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: Fire near Castolon
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
I'm traveling to Big Bend the weekend of June 1.
Will the Ross Maxwell road  to Santa Elena Canyon be open?

Check the Park webpage here:
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Looks like you can now get to Santa Elena Canyon via Maverick Road.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
Earlier this year when my daughter and I were out there, it was a given that we would stop by the "store" and have lunch and an ice cream.  I remember asking on here and planning her trip and it was a given that it was one of the things you had to do.  I went back and read my trip report and I only had one line about it but I remember my daughter had so much more to say when we got home.

We made some sandwiches which we ate in the shade as we watched other visitors come and go. 

Then we went inside and looked around.  My daughter really enjoyed looking at a couple of calendars hanging inside the post office cage.  They were 80 years old or so and she was amazed they were still hanging there.  We grabbed some ice creams and enjoyed them on the bench before heading on towards Santa Elena.    I'm so glad she got to experience that.  Would be hard to explain it to her if we hadn't. 

and

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Fire near Castolon
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Took a week to secure the site from recurring fire.  Los Diablos helped.  Note the fundraising site set up to help rebuild.

https://marfapublicradio.org/blog/after-nearly-a-week-castolon-fire-in-big-bend-national-park-is-almost-contained/

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »
Castolon Fire (updated 10:50 am): We are deeply saddened to report that last night the wildland fire dropped hot embers on the historic barracks, officers quarters, and restroom facilities at Castolon. The barracks structure, which housed the Castolon Visitor Center and La Harmonia store, were extensively damaged.

Wildland and structural fire crews worked through the night, with more crews on their way to help contain the fire. This is an ongoing situation, and we will update these posts when we have further information.

At this time, the Old Maverick Road, Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive, and River Road West from Buenos Aires to Castolon are closed for visitor safety and for fire crews to work as efficiently as possible.

We want to thank the fire crews for their hard work and the public for their support and patience as we are working to contain this fire.

Not updated since the 23rd
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!