Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

High Chisos (August 6-9)

• 8 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
High Chisos (August 6-9)
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
My oldest son has finally agreed to go backpacking with me (what joy!).  We intend to do a Bend-area fandango including Seminole Canyon, Ft. Davis. the museum at Sul Ross, the Marfa Lights, a four-day/three-night trip into the High Chisos, and a meal in Boquillas before beaming back to reality.

Our standard High Chisos adventure is planned to include (i) up Laguna Meadows on Tuesday PM with the night spent at one of the LM sites, (ii) over to  the Boot Canyon area to set-up a two-night base camp on Wednesday with that afternoon spent on the West Rim, (iii) enjoying the High Chisos including the East Rim on Thursday, and (iv) reluctantly down on Friday AM.

Two Questions:

1.  What are the legalities about leaving our base camp set up for the two days while we are exploring?  Are there any technicalities about leaving tents set up and leaving food and water in the bear box (say, at Colima #1)? They haven't outlawed this yet, have they?

2.  I have done the High Chisos in August before and found the pipe at Boot running quite sufficiently (not to mention the weather being excellent).  Are all signs pointing to adequate water at Boot early this August (just a few weeks away)? Adequate water there would obviously make this trip much more enjoyable.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: High Chisos (August 6-9)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
Sounds like a great trip.  No technicalities with leaving camp set up other than all smelly food and things in the bear box.  Some people recommend collapsing the tents while gone for critter who might want to get into them, not sure that is really needed though.

Still behind on annual rainfall so hard to say about water in Boot canyon, we need a good report.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:56 PM »
My oldest son has finally agreed to go backpacking with me (what joy!).  We intend to do a Bend-area fandango including Seminole Canyon, Ft. Davis. the museum at Sul Ross, the Marfa Lights, a four-day/three-night trip into the High Chisos, and a meal in Boquillas before beaming back to reality.

Our standard High Chisos adventure is planned to include (i) up Laguna Meadows on Tuesday PM with the night spent at one of the LM sites, (ii) over to  the Boot Canyon area to set-up a two-night base camp on Wednesday with that afternoon spent on the West Rim, (iii) enjoying the High Chisos including the East Rim on Thursday, and (iv) reluctantly down on Friday AM.

Two Questions:

1.  What are the legalities about leaving our base camp set up for the two days while we are exploring?  Are there any technicalities about leaving tents set up and leaving food and water in the bear box (say, at Colima #1)? They haven't outlawed this yet, have they?

2.  I have done the High Chisos in August before and found the pipe at Boot running quite sufficiently (not to mention the weather being excellent).  Are all signs pointing to adequate water at Boot early this August (just a few weeks away)? Adequate water there would obviously make this trip much more enjoyable.

As long as you don't leave it for more than 24 hours you're good...
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
From the weather station in the basin it appears it rained another 0.39 inches today. Perhaps the rainy season is starting.   :crossedfingers: With respect to August in general, I'd say you're far more likely than not to find adequate water. Have a look at the pictures I posted in this thread:
http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/big-bend-questions-and-answers/ok-then-what-can-we-do-in-the-summer/msg164075/#msg164075
August is my favorite time to hike in the Chisos. I am always prepared for thunderstorms including hail.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline tbone

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »

Two Questions:

As long as you don't leave it for more than 24 hours you're good...
And as long as Ranger Galindo isn't around...

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »
One day in the Basin I talked to guy who had ended his Chisos backpack early because a bear had torn up his tent and his friends. They left the tents up while off day hiking, got back to a trip ending mess.
Then the other consideration is the weather, if a thunderstorm does develop it can be severe with downpours that will test your tent and your tent staking skills.
My son and I have been caught in three summertime rain storms while hiking in the Chisos, when it rains it pours!

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Good rule thumb for monsoon season:  Try < keyword > to get to your campsite by noon-2pm before the random afternoon showers begin and get your tent pitched. After that, all is good.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
What’s the average high temp in the high Chisos in August?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:51 PM »
What’s the average high temp in the high Chisos in August?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

mid 80s more or less.
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!