Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Leg Gaiters ?

• 9 Replies

Offline Walking Man Joe

• Jack Rabbit
Leg Gaiters ?
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »
First I want to thank everybody for their input on the hiking boot issue. I really appreciate it. Some very good points were brought up. Now, lets talk leg gaiters. If you are using them for desert hiking, what kind/brand do you like ,or dislike. I'm planning on doing some exploring in the Burro Mesa area in Feb. , and know that they will come in handy! Thanks.
Captain Fun

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Leg Gaiters ?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
First I want to thank everybody for their input on the hiking boot issue. I really appreciate it. Some very good points were brought up. Now, lets talk leg gaiters. If you are using them for desert hiking, what kind/brand do you like ,or dislike. I'm planning on doing some exploring in the Burro Mesa area in Feb. , and know that they will come in handy! Thanks.

If you're hiking on top of Burro mesa, it is unlikely that you'll need gaiters. There just isn't that much dense vegetation.

That being said, I always wear mine off trail.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline brave6

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
In my experience a nice pair of stiff pants has worked better than gaiters for off trail travel in thick brush.  If it's gonna poke you in the shin, it's gonna poke you in the knee or thigh.  That said I'm not a boot guy, but have taken to wearing Dirty Girl gaiters to keep dirt and rocks outta my shoes.

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
I wear all-leather Asolos which are high enough to protect the ankles and an inch or two above. Used to wear desert gaiters by Otto, but found they were not necessary due to my baggy nylon pants which do pretty much the same job. ("Desert gaiters" are generally low-rise, ending a few inches above boot tops. For obvious reasons, they do not pretend to be waterproof.) My baggy pants unzip to the knee. This was intended to make pants easy to get on over boots but works equally well to provide much-needed ventilation in desert hiking.

Have a friend, very experienced desert hiker, who wears shorts with heavy nylon gaiters ending just below the knee. This provides the maximum in ventilation but requires some experience to avoid getting knees cut up by vegetation. "Don't touch the vegetation, it all has thorns!")

If your pants are long enough, you probably won't need gaiters.

Geezer

Offline Walking Man Joe

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »
Thanks guys . I appreciate all the input. I am only planning on using them for off trail situations. I was in the area between the rock corrals and the entrance to Apache canyon a few years ago,and was wishing I had a good pair for that area. Lots of good stuff to stick ya out there.
Captain Fun

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »
Gaiters are great. I have a pair of mountain hardware alpine Gaiters and a pair of turtleskin snake Gaiters. The mountain hardware are light and easy  to put on. They're great at blocking your typical chisos brush and also work against catclaw and usually prickly pear. The turtleskins are heavier (but not too bad) and take a little more work to put on. But they'll stop anything. I've walked through beds of lechiguilla and don't even feel the spears.  When I'm on the trail, the gaiters are strapped to the side of my pack, and I put them on when I leave the trail.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »
I use Turtleskin gaiters pretty much every time I am out. I do a lot of off-trail hiking and have a lot of snake encounters and these gaiters let me walk through the brush with impunity. They are pricing, but they are also pretty much impervious. Catclaw, pitaya, prickly pear,... nothing gets through.

http://www.turtleskin.com/Snake-Gaiters.aspx
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Ranger Tim, how do to strap on your turtleskins? I haven't found a method I really like yet.  They don't have the adjustable strap that slips under the boot like most gaiters.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
I simply snipped the largely ineffectual elastic at the top and bottom and let gravity do the rest. Typically, the metatarsal protection slides over to the side, but it doesn't drag the ground so it doesn't really bother me. Given the amount of time I spend in the field, I may end up upgrading to the chaps when these wear out. The product is great, but the fit is less than stellar.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!