Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mountain Lion Attacks In BiBe

• 15 Replies

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
Mountain Lion Attacks In BiBe
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:20:07 AM »
Interesting read about mountain lion attacks. Notice some of the attacks in which kids we're way ahead of parents.  Some calibration on how people defended themselves.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266739288_Mountain_Lion_Incidents_in_Big_Bend_National_Park_1953-2003

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
Re: Mountain Lion Attacks In BiBe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
Thanks for that, very interesting.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
+1 thanks
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
Very thorough, sounds like one should stay off the Basin Loop trail near dusk!
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
Very interesting. Seems you need to fight back with whatever is available and you'll survive - maybe with a few wounds.
I like the one with the guy in the tree that was momentarily distracted and then found the lion in the tree with him !  Momentarily distracted ? More likely fell asleep.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »
So. Here's something odd.

I've had three encounters with Mountain Lion in Big Bend. The first was just a nearby vocalization (the hair-raising scream) one night when I was camped up in Boot Canyon.

The second was in November 1996 while hiking the OML with my younger brother. We started up from Homer Wilson and used JC1 as a base camp while we explored the Chisos for a couple days before continuing on into the desert. On our second day up in the Chisos we were returning from climbing Emory Peak when we rounded a hairpin turn on the Boot Canyon trail and came face-to-face with an adult lion trotting down the trail toward us. The lion came to an abrupt stop a few feet from me and then bounded straight up the steep slope to my right, pausing several feet upslope for a minute or so before moving on.

The third encounter was in the spring of 2003. I had taken my friend Don (a Canadian Wildlife Service field researcher) on his first trip to Big Bend.  We'd spent the day up in the Chisos and were on our way back to the Basin when we encountered a female lion with two cubs making their way through an arroyo just above the Boulder Meadow area. Don, in a demonstration of enthusiasm over good sense, wanted to follow the lions but I dissuaded him.

In the two latter cases I filed an official wildlife sighting report. And I think in both cases, it was Ranger Mark Flippo (a very knowledgeable naturalist) that took the reports. Yet neither of these encounters are in the linked research paper.  And here's something: along with the spring 2003 lion sighting, I filed reports of a couple of extremely rare bird sightings with Flippo and those DID make it into the official records, including the Texas Bird Records Committee report for that year.  Very odd that the two lion reports seem to have evaporated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:11:24 PM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »
Very interesting. Seems you need to fight back with whatever is available and you'll survive - maybe with a few wounds.
I like the one with the guy in the tree that was momentarily distracted and then found the lion in the tree with him !  Momentarily distracted ? More likely fell asleep.

I noticed that! I like the one in which the woman reported awaking to see a lion stepping over her sleeping bag.

Speaking of fighting back. Check out the link I added yesterday to my earlier post, "This is why it's important to teach our children to box".  It will blow your mind.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/other-stuff/this-is-why-it's-important-to-teach-our-children-to-box/msg165996/#msg165996

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:00:48 AM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »

I noticed that! I like the one in which the woman reported awaking to see a lion stepping over her sleeping bag.

Speaking of fighting back. Check out the link I added yesterday to my earlier post, "This is why it's important to teach our children to box".  It will blow your mind.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/other-stuff/this-is-why-it's-important-to-teach-our-children-to-box/msg165996/#msg165996

I did read that - thats one tough dude

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
I filed reports of a couple of extremely rare bird sightings
Are you going to share these with us ... please?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »

Ha! Sure, Imre. Painted Redstart and Flame-colored Tanager.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:51 PM »
Painted Redstart and Flame-colored Tanager.
Surely you mean slate throated redstart?
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Painted Redstart and Flame-colored Tanager.
Surely you mean slate throated redstart?

That was the previous year.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »

Ha! Sure, Imre. Painted Redstart and Flame-colored Tanager.

The Painted redstart is not particularly rare in the Chisos. It is just a sporadic visitor. Some years there and some years not so much....

On the other hand, the Slate-throated Redstart  is extremely rare in Texas. Is it possible that there is some confusion?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 08:52:07 AM »
Painted Redstart is interesting.  There was a period beginning in the 90's when its presence in the Bend became unusually and sustainedly rare.  We now know, with hindsight, that that period ended in the early 2000's, but at the time we didn't know which direction the population was headed. I was very pleased to find one in 2003.  But you're right BK, I was in fact confused about the TBRC report. I just checked it and only my sighting of the Flame-colored Tanager made it into the report that year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:12:04 PM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
I'll use this as an excuse to post a photograph. This guy looks like he's gathering material for a nest. Photographed right next to the cabin at Boot Spring.
- H.L. Mencken

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!