Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Next time suggestions

• 19 Replies

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 48 years.
Re: Next time suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
I agree with elhombre about Randell's overlook. I think it is the most interesting hike on the far east side of the park, but unless you are in shape and agile it is an all day hike. There is survival shade from tall yuccas and a few large boulders, but very little to no hiking shade so it can be hot even in October.

I suggest UPPER Burro Mesa on the west side for day two and any other thing on that side of the park that strikes your fancy. I've seen some (my friend Wayne here) who are reluctant to go down the very last drop on this hike into the pit just above the pour off. They are afraid they won't be able to get back up it. It sounds as though you and your son are pretty good hikers, but just in case you can bring a short piece of rope or a couple of trekking poles that can be looped together at the straps to help get up this last drop off. I've done it alone and I'm out of shape and old, but it does look worse from the top looking down than looking up.  If time allows, follow that hike by driving out the park's west exit and down the road west out of Study Butte for a Closed Canyon hike (much shorter than Upper Burro Mesa, and it's in BBRSP, but right on the Hwy)  which I think would compliment the Upper Burro Mesa hike quite nicely before going to La Kiva afterwards. If for any reason La Kiva is closed or too packed with people, I also recommend Long Draw Pizza for a good west side eatery. Tell Nancy that fartymarty sent you, just to see the confused look on her face.  :icon_lol:

For the off trail hiking when leaving the park, perhaps the hoodoo area to the west of the road heading towards the Persimon Gap exit?  I think parking safely along side the road between mile markers 6 and 7 , then just hike and meander west in the desert veering towards anything that strikes your fancy will be an interesting off trail experience. Just up the road, past the Fossil Bone exhibit, is Exhibit Ridge which is also west of the road and has a nice safe paved (unmarked) pull out on the west side of the road.
Fort Worth

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »

I suggest UPPER Burro Mesa on the west side for day two and any other thing on that side of the park that strikes your fancy. I've seen some (my friend Wayne here) who are reluctant to go down the very last drop on this hike into the pit just above the pour off. They are afraid they won't be able to get back up it. It sounds as though you and your son are pretty good hikers, but just in case you can bring a short piece of rope or a couple of trekking poles that can be looped together at the straps to help get up this last drop off. I've done it alone and I'm out of shape and old, but it does look worse from the top looking down than looking up.  If time allows, follow that hike by driving out the park's west exit and down the road west out of Study Butte for a Closed Canyon hike (much shorter than Upper Burro Mesa, and it's in BBRSP, but right on the Hwy)  which I think would compliment the Upper Burro Mesa hike quite nicely before going to La Kiva afterwards. If for any reason La Kiva is closed or too packed with people, I also recommend Long Draw Pizza for a good west side eatery. Tell Nancy that fartymarty sent you, just to see the confused look on her face.  :icon_lol:

For the off trail hiking when leaving the park, perhaps the hoodoo area to the west of the road heading towards the Persimon Gap exit?  I think parking safely along side the road between mile markers 6 and 7 , then just hike and meander west in the desert veering towards anything that strikes your fancy will be an interesting off trail experience. Just up the road, past the Fossil Bone exhibit, is Exhibit Ridge which is also west of the road and has a nice safe paved (unmarked) pull out on the west side of the road.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have the workings of my "Day 2" plan starting to form. I think I'll leave camp early and pick a hike, maybe Sam Nail Ranch, Burro Mesa Pour Off or hike down and see the Homer Wilson Ranch house (or a combination of a few).  Continue towards Santa Elena and maybe do the Bruja Canyon as suggested.  Then sometime later in the day, take Old Maverick Road back north.  Reasonable speed with lots of looking, anyone have a guess on time back to the pavement? End up in Terlingua for the evening. 

Then on the day I reluctantly start heading home, the hoodoo area sounds like the place to stop and wander around. 

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 02:27:45 PM »
An hour is ample time for Maverick Road.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
Don't forget Luna's jacal on your way up Maverick

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
Don't forget Luna's jacal on your way up Maverick

I haven't had a chance to break out my maps yet but I thought Luna's jacal was on that route and I'd really love to see that. 

See! This is why people put their itineraries on here.  I remember going to surf the west coast of Mexico one time, taking a bus over with a head full of information and a map of Punta de Mita hand drawn on a tore off piece of brown paper bag.  All those little suggestions, lessons already learned and ideas that make a trip.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!