Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

progress is inevitable

• 3 Replies

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
progress is inevitable
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
New cell tower in the basin. Forgot to ask whether it is operational but I think not.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: progress is inevitable
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Imre,

I saw that when I was there 2 weeks ago. Asking about it later at the Store, the gal said the company had worked on it quite a long time and that it wasn't working.  I think it is not your typical cell tower, since it is only maybe 16-20' tall and has two rectangular antennae pads. Perhaps it is a relay /repeater? Pretty ugly IMO from the cabin area. Sits in the middle of the overflow parking for the cottages, which had been a nice view of the Basin. Contrasting the fuss the proposed electric line across the river made years ago, this seems to have had no public comment or explanation...

Not a great shot, but here is a zoomed in picture of what it looks like from the Window View Trail.

- Flash

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
New cell tower in the basin. Forgot to ask whether it is operational but I think not.

15 or more years ago the NPS ran a fiber optic cable up the middle of the basin road. Never heard whether it was made operational.

Regarding Flash's comment about the fuss over the river electric line, perhaps the NPS decided after that dustup just to forego the public comment on this tower so they would not have to be bothered by public reaction.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Txlj

• Diamondback
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:09:43 PM »
Just because progress is inevitable doesn't mean it's always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!