Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Dead Battery

• 6 Replies

Offline Freeleo1

• Kangaroo Rat
Dead Battery
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
Has anyone had a problem with a wrecking a battery on rough roads? We went about 2 miles on a high clearance road in BBRSP. The truck wouldn't start the next morning and we had to wait for someone to come by for a jump start. We had a Die Hard jump starter, but it didn't have enough energy to start the battery. We realized later that it was not taking a charge and think some of the cells must have been damaged. Do Jeeps or other back country vehicles have anything to protect the battery from damage? Also, is there a jump starter that someone had used to start a truck with a completely dead battery? Thanks for any help.  We had a great time otherwise and recommend Big Bend Ranch State Park for people with 4 wheel drive vehicles especially. Our 2 wheel drive truck had a more limited range.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: Dead Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
In my jeep I run a gell cell battery. They absorb vibration better and are a little sturdier than a wet cell battery. Optima is the brand I run but there are a few others out there. In 12 years, Ive had two gell cells in the jeep.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
Vibration resistant AGM battery- Advanced. Glass mat.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Freeleo1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind the next time we need to buy a battery. It may be a while before I need to worry about it anyway.  We thought we had all possible problems covered. At least our camp was pretty close to the main road.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
Buy one of these and use it before every trip.  Also, if it is just not strong enough to turn the engine over, warm the battery up.   Wrap a towel around the body of it.  Get out your camp stove and boil some water.  Pour the hot water on the battery and towel.  Get it good and hot, and it just may be enough to get the engine to crank.  What else are you going to do while waiting for some one to drive by.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-100-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000AMBOI0/ref=sr_1_3/141-8260142-6402212?ie=UTF8&qid=1545320567&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+load+tester
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
Vibration resistant AGM battery- Advanced. Glass mat.

Exactly!

I run Odyssey's in my trucks. Pricey, but bulletproof.

Odyssey's pack more energy into a given case size due to having flat plates. Optima seems to have fallen on hard time with quality issues.

Regardless, an AGM battery is far more rugged than a flooded cell and requires no maintenance, not to mention no more post corrosion issues, boil over or cell evaporation.

I also run 6v AGMs in series to power my travel trailer.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
2 miles of rough road is not enough to kill even a cheap battery.  it might have been on its way out, or something got wiggled and caused a drain.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!