Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Safety in the Basin

• 49 Replies

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 07:24:23 PM »
Ice is always an issue!  Use a combination of block and "cubed" ice.  You can get ice at Rio Grande Village, the Basin or the filling station at Panther Junction so it shouldn't be a problem.

Al

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 09:23:56 PM »
Quote from: "haldodd"
Heres another stupid question I cant find.  Ice?  Is getting ice an issue?  I dont want to take my 150 quart now that I posted these questions.

There is ice available at the Basin store.  Probably also available at Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village.  Of course, you'll pay a bit more for it in the park.

SHANEA

BLOCK
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
Quote from: "Al"
Ice is always an issue!  Use a combination of block and "cubed" ice.  You can get ice at Rio Grande Village, the Basin or the filling station at Panther Junction so it shouldn't be a problem.
Al

The only place I've found out that way with block ice is the store at the mall in Study Butte.   Blocked and cubed ice are much cheaper there.

Offline JeffB

• Black Bear
    • http://www.astroforecast.org/bbindex.html
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »
Quote from: "haldodd"

I'll be driving in Friday arolund noon.  I thought we would set camp and then his the Nail Ranch and a few places on the west side of the Chisos.

Any good hikes you would suggest to start off in that area?

Looks like you'll be getting to the park after dark.  

My first trip to BBNP we arrived after dark too.  When I woke up in the morning and stepped out of my tent and looked around the basin, that is a moment I'll never forget.   To see the Chisos for the first time, lit by the rising sun, that's when I knew I loved this place.  A drive down Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive at dawn is beyond words.  

Watch for Mama Bear and her two cubs that are hanging around the basin area.  There have been many sightings the last couple months.  Best chance of sighting is dawn and dusk.
Jeff Bullard
Dallas, TX

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »
Ice is not a problem, it's available in park at basin, Boquillos camp n also Terlingua, you don't need to eat for weeks but beer warm is NOT GOOD. :shock:  As you may have guessed fuel is high in BB a little lower in Study Butte, Terlingua. I think there is a post in this forum on fuel.
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Safety in the Basin
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
Quote from: "Undertaker"
Ice is not a problem, it's available in park at basin, Boquillos camp n also Terlingua, you don't need to eat for weeks but beer warm is NOT GOOD. :shock:  As you may have guessed fuel is high in BB a little lower in Study Butte, Terlingua. I think there is a post in this forum on fuel.

Yup. Right here.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 03:01:59 PM »
Lemming_of_the_BDA

June 20 to Sept 24.....no presence....where ya been?
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2006, 03:30:08 PM »
haldodd, whatever you do shoot photos and post on this board. You will get a ton of information from these guys and old post. Tell your dad to relax and enjoy, noticed the post on bears and bear box should have answered most of questions, use bear box, don't wipe hands on pants don't leave any pack or gear with candy, food as even the small critters will find away to enter same.. Skunks also bad in basin, good common sense works.  If you look like food you will be eaten!!!!! :shock:

Remain at the top of the food chain by locking all food and smells of same away, toothpast, and shaving supplies should go in box also.

Drink a cold one, or two or three for me, post photo on Terlingua porch having a cold one or two or three remembeing you have to drive back to basin, drive safe enjoy :lol:  :lol:  8)

Offline haldodd

• Jack Rabbit
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2006, 03:57:54 PM »
Im sure we will drink several cold ones not to mention a whiskey and coke.  Like father like son you could say.

Thanks for the advice.  My Dad went when he was in his early twenties and said the place was infested with skunks but I dont hear much about them.  Mostly javalina and bears it seems.

My jeep is a rag top, I better get it cleaned out good.
Hal Dodd
Arlington Tx
www.hdguideservice. com

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »
I have had problems with javelina in the past.  In Rio Grande Village they have gotten especially troublesome and aggressive.  So I was wondering is it OK to put up a small portable electric fence around your tent / cooking area?  Does anyone know the nps rules on this?

Offline haldodd

• Jack Rabbit
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »
I dont know the rules but I bet they would "squeal like a pig" and every one of them would have to learn their lesson.  I doubt they would allow this.

Good thinking though.
Hal Dodd
Arlington Tx
www.hdguideservice. com

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »
Quote from: "WL2"
I have had problems with javelina in the past.  In Rio Grande Village they have gotten especially troublesome and aggressive.  So I was wondering is it OK to put up a small portable electric fence around your tent / cooking area?  Does anyone know the nps rules on this?

I have no idea what the rules are, but here's a heavy duty one:
http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

Offline haldodd

• Jack Rabbit
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »
Hey JeffB, I will actually be driving to Brownwood Thursday night to pick up my father.  We will leave erarly the next morning which should put us there by 2.

Looks like several of you will be there this weekend.  I hope to meet a few of you.
Hal Dodd
Arlington Tx
www.hdguideservice. com

Offline Undertaker

• Mountain Lion
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 06:29:48 PM »
Slept on ground, under stars more than once in Boquillios never had problem, but then again I am not a cooler, which the J's have learned have food and will attack and destroy. Use common sense secure all food and food like items in a manner that does not allow critters. If you camp smart you should be OK. Again ask rangers get good current information. 8)

Electric Fence??? Read about bear fence, in recent Backpacker Mag, it appears to work.  Just another 2 or 3 pounds to carry, which if I had my way would be in form of water  :lol:  :lol:  and a good mixer 8)

Offline WL2

• Black Bear
Safety in the Basin
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 06:47:36 PM »
In the backcountry areas I do not think critters are such a problem.  Not that many people for them to get used to the snacks.  However, in the developed campgrounds they can be a real pain.  I would not carry the extra weight in my pack, but while car camping.....

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!