Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Snakebites

• 82 Replies

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
Chicken
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 09:03:28 PM »
I have yet to have anyone tell me what does chicken taste like? Eveyone compares everything to chicken, somebody compare chicken to something.  I like my chicken fried, tried rattler BBQed and Fried I am not sure I can compare it to anything.   :wink:

Undertaker
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline JeffB

• Black Bear
    • http://www.astroforecast.org/bbindex.html
Snakebites
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 09:10:28 PM »
Quote from: "chisos_muse"

Yes, I've had the rattlesnake cakes at Ocotillo....they were "OK" at best....and NO, they didn't taste like chicken! :?

Seems like everything "tastes like chicken".   we caught a bonnethead shark at San Luis Pass this weekend and my friend kept it to cook.  He says shark tastes more like chicken than fish.  

I figured rattlesnake wouldn't be that good.  How is the Ocotillo restaurant in general?  I guess we'd have to clean up and put on some fancy clothes to go in there.
Jeff Bullard
Dallas, TX

chisos_muse

Snakebites
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »
Quote from: "JeffB"

Yes, I've had the rattlesnake cakes at Ocotillo....they were "OK" at best....and NO, they didn't taste like chicken! :?

Seems like everything "tastes like chicken".   we caught a bonnethead shark at San Luis Pass this weekend and my friend kept it to cook.  He says shark tastes more like chicken than fish.  

I figured rattlesnake wouldn't be that good.  How is the Ocotillo restaurant in general?  I guess we'd have to clean up and put on some fancy clothes to go in there.

Not at all! (clean up)
Well, the last time I ate there was a few years back and that chef isn't there anymore....I WILL say that the food was good, but overpriced for what it was. They've prolly changed their menu a bit by now.

I will say that every time I've eaten at the Starlight it has been quite tasty! :D

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
Second That on Starlite
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 09:21:08 PM »
Food has always been good, plenty of it, beer cold and I don't have to take out a loan to eat.  Basin also has good burger, not sure of prices as I seldom have eaten in basin except after hiking. Since I will be visiting Sept 1-4, and staying at basin, I suspect I will find out.
Undertaker

PS: How are diesel fuel prices in park.

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
Snakebites
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 09:18:23 AM »
Great information from BIBEARCH.  I'm glad to hear y'all had good treatment and recoveries.  I didn't know the park had an ambulance service.  That brings up a good question:

If one of us is bitten at the park, what is the emergency number to call?  And where is the nearest hospital that has antivenom? This would be great information to carry with me on the next trip.

The main park phone number goes to an automated answering machine with the first option "..if this is an emergency, dial 9 now.."

During normal daytime hours, 8-5, the call will be directed to park dispatch. After hours, the call is directed to 911 in Alpine, who will in turn contact  someone either in the park or at Terlingua Medics.

Having occasion to use 911 recently to report an injury about 4 miles off pavement on Terlingua Ranch, I was duly impressed with the response time from Terlingua Medics. The 911 emergency system works fairly well when the response goes to an obvious well-known location. In this case,  I had to stand by and guide them to the location.

As Medic says, remember that it's 100 miles to the nearest hospital, and if they don't have antivenin on hand, its Fort Stockton or Midland/Odessa....

Don't get bit...

Tom Alex
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

Offline Windchime

• Diamondback
Snakebites
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »
Great information from BIBEARCH.  I'm glad to hear y'all had good treatment and recoveries.  I didn't know the park had an ambulance service.  That brings up a good question:

If one of us is bitten at the park, what is the emergency number to call?  And where is the nearest hospital that has antivenom? This would be great information to carry with me on the next trip..

Call 911 for emergencies in the park. The Alpine hospital usually stocks the antivenom.
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal Government.

Offline JeffB

• Black Bear
    • http://www.astroforecast.org/bbindex.html
Snakebites
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 09:53:23 PM »
Thats good to know when your hiking buddy is as dumb as this...

I'll beat him over the head with my hiking stick before he attempts something like this again.  Maybe I should email him some of those gruesome pictures of swollen appendages before we head out on Aug 31.
Jeff Bullard
Dallas, TX

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Snakebites
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »
man, if someone hiking with me pulled something like that, there is no doubt they'd get a good whack in the head from me.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Undertaker

• Mountain Lion
That's Right
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 10:08:53 PM »
That's Right PO the deadly reptile, then wonder why you got bit.  The remember the nearest hospital is ALPINE approximately 2 hours away filled with pain and agony. :shock:   [-X  Undertaker

SHANEA

Lest We Forget
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »
That molesting the animals in the protected confines of the National Park and more especially BIBE is strictly prohibited.  

I guess I've got some really good hiking / camping buddies - as no one ever pulls any shit like that.  I did have one friend that wanted to chase a bear at BGWMA so I could get a picture, but I prevailed upon him that it wasn't a good idea.

Do not feed park animals, including birds. Feeding animals is unhealthy for the animal and invites human/animal confrontations.
Protect the park by not possessing, destroying, injuring, defacing, removing, digging, or disturbing plants, animals, fossils, rocks, or artifacts.

I think that would be classified as disturbing that snake.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/visit/campreg.htm

chisos_muse

Snakebites
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:18 AM »
Jeffy that's not good! :x
As a Junior Ranger of BIBE I must protest such action....Mebbe this pic should be deleted before Big Daddy's Leonard or Alex see it...

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Snakebites
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2006, 08:12:25 AM »
Wow JeffB...I just showed your pictureto an uncle of mine who has cattle in the mountains....Said he had never seen somebody try to do that. It's just like seeing if the fire is hot... Don't let your buddy go out alone. :?
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline BIBEARCH

• Coyote
Snakebites
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 08:35:43 AM »
Thats good to know when your hiking buddy is as dumb as this...

I'll beat him over the head with my hiking stick before he attempts something like this again.  Maybe I should email him some of those gruesome pictures of swollen appendages before we head out on Aug 31.

On our own property outside the park, we usually try to capture and relocate rattlesnakes, but we certainly don't do it this way. Most incidents involving reptiles in this country are from inattention or blatant stupidity. I love walking in the desert under a full moon -- the desert takes on a singularly spectacular atmosphere. But, that's also when the little buggers like to lay out and wait for mice and other prey.

Don't get bit...
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal government.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people . . . people hey, that's us!"? - Swami Beyondananda

SHANEA

Get Em.
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
As a Junior Ranger of BIBE I must protest such action....Mebbe this pic should be deleted before Big Daddy's Leonard or Alex see it...

You Get'em Ms. Kitty!  Show them your official badge!

chisos_muse

Re: Get Em.
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2006, 05:52:44 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"

You Get'em Ms. Kitty!  Show them your official badge!

All kidding aside, I take that little badge quite seriously. It's probably the closest I'll ever come to being an NPS employee in BIBE. Unfortunately I've had a late start in fulfilling my passions, with the exception of two amazing children and the wonderful man I share my life with now.. :D

I am not perfect, and have broken my share of rules in life, but that park and it's surrounding land are quite precious to me. I don't like to see things tampered with in a negative way, and when I'm there, I really do feel that it is MY responsibility to preserve and protect for all....

PLEASE, respect the land and animals, don't speed, don't deface anything and don't leave food or dirty dishes /trash laying about!  8)

Off the soapbox now..... :oops:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!