Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

SNOW!

• 60 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Re: SNOW!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I arrived in Marathon about an hour ago... still patches of snow here and there.

---> Sent from Flash's phone

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
Is it rude to say that the people that went to or are in BiBe right now suck?  :eusa_eh:

Sorry about that... I am using an Apple keyboard and it sometimes types rude things.  :o

Anyone heard from HMOD? That's really why I stopped in...

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »
The Daily Report states the Glenn Spring Road is closed. Did anybody ask why by chance? I am supposing it's muddy...

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:26 PM »
Jonathan, are you there?

I was there but left Thursday afternoon when the snowplow from PJ arrived.  We were told to be at The Basin gate at 1 P.M. if we wanted to leave that day;  otherwise, we'd be stuck there until the next day.  I declined to pay the extra $160+ to stay in the room another night and left.  You make a reservation three months in advance and never know what's going to happen the one night you're there....  I see that you just got to the park;  sorry I missed you.  What a difference a day makes....

Question: how many inches of snow equals how many inches of rain?

Question: are the High Chisos getting any?

As to your first question, typically a 10:1 conversion is used (10 inches of snow = 1 inch of precipitation)

Today's daily report shows 4.75 in at PJ yesterday, which surely must refer to snow not rain. But then the cumulative totals for month and year are combinations of snow and rain, which is not so useful.  :eusa_think:

Yes, that's the case.  The precipitation started as rain Wednesday morning and stayed that way into early Thursday morning, when it changed to snow.  The precipitation total listed on the Thursday Daily Report reflects both rain and snow fall.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
Is it rude to say that the people that went to or are in BiBe right now suck?  :eusa_eh:

Sorry about that... I am using an Apple keyboard and it sometimes types rude things.  :o

Anyone heard from HMOD? That's really why I stopped in...
The short answer is yes HMoD is fine but I will let him elaborate when he resurfaces in a while

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »

The short answer is yes HMoD is fine but I will let him elaborate when he resurfaces in a while

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

:dance: :eusa_clap: :eusa_dance: gracias

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
Selected Basin Site 18 with lots of sun exposure

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
How does this snow compare to snows of years past? Also, how often does it snow in the Bend? What’s the most anyone can remember?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
Glenn Spring Road is "open" again. I scouted it out then pressed the issue when the PJ ranger was going to deny a permit starting at JC TH. I was vindicated after the call was made to dispatch. Off tomorrow for regions out there...

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
Glenn Spring Road is "open" again. I scouted it out then pressed the issue when the PJ ranger was going to deny a permit starting at JC TH. I was vindicated after the call was made to dispatch. Off tomorrow for regions out there...

You guys are killing me...

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2017, 05:19:22 PM »

What kind of car do you drive?  My buds and I are beginning an OML Tuesdy at the Dodson/JV trailhead, Lord willing.

Thanks for the update on road openings.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »

What kind of car do you drive?  My buds and I are beginning an OML Tuesdy at the Dodson/JV trailhead, Lord willing.

Thanks for the update on road openings.
A 2wd Tacoma. I drove to Pine Canyon junction before turning around. Before that I spoke with folksi n an SUV going the other way who had been up Black  Gap  before heading north on  GSR. In short, the road was pretty normal, just not dusty.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 02:21:47 AM »
Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. I survived the Great Snow Storm of 2017 (it was just snow) and am now back in so-called civilization... slightly ahead of schedule and definitely somewhat worse for the wear. I will post a trip report as soon as I get my head back together. Thanks  for the concern everyone. 

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:47 AM »
How does this snow compare to snows of years past? Also, how often does it snow in the Bend? What’s the most anyone can remember?

Looks similar to 2013

https://mirrormagic.com/2013/11/27/big-bend-chisos-mountain-snow/

Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Glad to hear your safe House. Wouldn't be the same without your trail words of wisdom.

Sent from flat land

Also Badknee's. Beautiful shot!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!