Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spots to see Sunset & sunrise?

• 8 Replies

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
Spots to see Sunset & sunrise?
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
Quick question, What are the recommended spots to see the sunset and sunrise in BigBend?  I was thinking of hiking up lost mine to see either but I don't want to go up twice.  Any other spots that would be better than Lost Mine besides Emory Peak.  Doing that Emory peak on Saturday but not going to scramble off the peak in the dark.   Thanks in advance,

Offline bitter_melon

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Spots to see Sunset & sunrise?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
FWIW, the only scramble on Emory Peak is at the very tippy top. I don't have a great approximation of how high the scramble is, but it's definitely under 100 feet, probably under 50 feet. It will still be light out for a while after sunset. You shouldn't have a problem getting off of the scramble and being well on your way down long before it's dark enough to require headlamps.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
Sunrise from Glenn Spring Road and Sunset from Soto Vista. No climbing required.

Better choice would be to overnight at SW4 and catch both from the Rim
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
I guess it might also depend on if you want to see the sun rise/set or watch the light play out on the landscape.  I like watching the sunrise hit Santa Elena Canyon and the sunset hit the Carmens, for example.  My favorite sunrise shot is from high up on Elephant Tusk's flank.

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
FWIW, the only scramble on Emory Peak is at the very tippy top. I don't have a great approximation of how high the scramble is, but it's definitely under 100 feet, probably under 50 feet. It will still be light out for a while after sunset. You shouldn't have a problem getting off of the scramble and being well on your way down long before it's dark enough to require headlamps.

I've been to Emory peak and its can get sketchy, especially if someone isn't used to exposure but you're right after the sun sets there should still be plenty of light.   Just dont plan to stay on the Chisos all day.  Especially if we're starting early so we could do the southrim loop. 

Offline crgowo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
"Sunrise from Glenn Spring Road and Sunset from Soto Vista. No climbing required. "  Thanks BadKnees, I'll look that up. 

"I guess it might also depend on if you want to see the sun rise/set or watch the light play out on the landscape.  I like watching the sunrise hit Santa Elena Canyon and the sunset hit the Carmens, for example.  My favorite sunrise shot is from high up on Elephant Tusk's flank."  That's true Jalco.  I was also thinking seeing the sun setting light hit balanced rock might be pretty nice also.   

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
Try sunset from the overlook on the Rio Grande Village nature trail. Someone pulled the wrong stock photo thinking it was the Sierra Madre in Mexico:
https://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Sierra-Madre-MAX-STEINER/dp/B000U7V98U/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521505917&sr=1-2&keywords=treasure+of+the+sierra+madre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
Try sunset from the overlook on the Rio Grande Village nature trail. Someone pulled the wrong stock photo thinking it was the Sierra Madre in Mexico:
https://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Sierra-Madre-MAX-STEINER/dp/B000U7V98U/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521505917&sr=1-2&keywords=treasure+of+the+sierra+madre

Ditto on the RGV Nature trail at sunrise

Or the hoodoos north of Panther Junction

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:56 PM »
Sunset at RGV is pretty okay as well  :)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!