Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break 2007

• 13 Replies

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
  • We're going' up around the Bend - J. Fogerty, 1970
Spring Break 2007
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »
Anyone got a calendar for this year's spring break;  would like to avoid it.

BigBendHiker

Spring Break 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 09:16:29 PM »
The Victoria, TX public schools and UT Health Science Center (San Antonio, TX)are out March 12-16.  

BBH

Online Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:03:13 AM »
I posted a link to a Spring Break calendar here.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?topic=2893.0

Offline Wendy

• Jack Rabbit
    • http://www.wendylarsen.com
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:25 AM »
Most schools in the Houston area are also out March 12-16.
Wendy

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
  • We're going' up around the Bend - J. Fogerty, 1970
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
Thanks; looks like I missed it the first time around.

Offline TexasGirl

• Black Bear
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »
Austin schools are also out March 12-16.  Anybody have a link that compiles Texas public schools' spring breaks?
As a matter of fact, I _do_ have an opinion on that....

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
Not all school districts have the same Spring Break.  I know that just about every major college in TX has their SB the 12th-16th.
resist much, obey little

SHANEA

Barton Warnock
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:02:42 AM »
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20070226c

Media Contact: Rob McCorkle, (512) 389-4537, robert.mccorkle@tpwd.state.tx.us; Rod Trevizo, (432) 424-3327, rod.trevizo@tpwd.state.tx.us

Feb. 26, 2007

Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center Announces Longer Operating Hours for Spring Break
LAJITAS, Texas — Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center, which serves as the eastern entrance to Big Bend Ranch State Park, will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from March 13 through March 22.

“Spring break is one of the busiest seasons for travel to the Big Bend region,” said Rod Trevizo, the center’s superintendent. “We would like to invite everyone to come out for Spring Break and enjoy the state parks in the Big Bend.”

Trevizo said the Barton Warnock Environmental Education Center serves as an introduction to the natural and cultural history of the Chihuahuan Desert and border region. The 99-acre facility tells the story of 600-million years of geological history, as well as the Big Bend’s biological and cultural diversity, through compelling, bilingual interpretive exhibits, photographs and a topographic map of the region.

Visitors can pick up maps, receive information about camping, kayaking and hiking, learn about Big Bend Ranch State Park and Fort Leaton State Historic Site in Presidio and discover other interesting things to see and do within a 100-mile radius. A botanical garden behind the center serves as a living exhibit of Chihuahuan Desert flora.

The center is located on State Highway 70, one mile east of Lajitas in Brewster County. For more information, contact the park at (432) 424-3327.

SHANEA

Flood Coming...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:10:42 PM »
Everyone get prepared out at BIBE, a FLOOD of SFASU and Sam Houston Students will be out there Spring Break.  Bunch of "drunks" I'm sure.  All hands on deck.  ALL RETIREMENTS CANCELLED!

$150 bucks including food, what a deal!

http://tinyurl.com/26bymu

Outdoor Pursuits to make Spring Break an adventure
Kathryn Blevins
Posted: 2/26/07
Outdoor Pursuits at SFA is working with Sam Houston State University to offer an adventure alternative during Spring Break. The adventure is a one-week camping and canoeing trip through South Texas, with such highlights as Big Bend National Park and the Rio Grande River.

To start off the trip, SFA students will meet up with students from Sam Houston at Texas State University in San Marcos. Once in San Marcos, they will take advantage of Texas State's university camp site and practice basic canoeing skills on the San Marcos River.

From there, the group will progress to Big Bend National Park to indulge in some day hikes, including a hike on the tallest peak in the park, Emory Peak.

After a few days of hiking, the group will then enjoy a three-day/two-night canoe trip down the Rio Grande River through the Voquillas Canyon. The river boats a fairly easy ride with some class one and two rapids.

Once off the river, the group will head back to the camp site for a day of rest and some hiking through Pine Canyon and the South Rim.

According to Michael Maningas, coordinator of outdoor pursuits at SFA, students do not need to have prior experience camping or canoeing to take part in the trip. "Because the outdoor pursuits program is new to SFA, a majority of the trips will be geared toward the beginner," he said. "There will be more advanced trips in the future, but beginners will always have the opportunity to join in on the fun."

Students embarking on the trips offered by SFA's outdoor pursuits program will be in experienced hands. Maningas has been in the outdoor adventure field for 14 years. Prior to joining the campus recreation program at SFA, he lived in Guatemala for four years and operated an adventure travel company named Old Town Outfitters.

When asked why he chose to come to SFA, Maningas replied, "I wanted to get closer to family and the draw of starting an outdoor adventure program from scratch is exciting."

"Because this is a new program, we have lots of creative freedom. Students can come by the office and let me know what types of outdoor activities they want to see at SFA and I will try to provide them."

Future trips provided by the outdoor pursuits program include a canoe trip to Caddo Lake, A cave trip on Easter weekend, A climbing trip to Enchanted Rock and a Galveston camping trip.

The cost of the Spring Break trip is $150 and includes all transportation, equipment and food. Contact outdoor pursuits at 468-6234 or outdoorpursuits@sfasu.edu with any questions.

kblevins@thepinelog.com

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:20:28 PM »
Ahhh to be young again....... :-k ......NO WAY :!:  :!:
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Daryl

• Black Bear
    • http://www.mountainlivingland.com
Spring Break 2007
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 10:37:28 PM »
After a few days of hiking, the group will then enjoy a three-day/two-night canoe trip down the Rio Grande River through the Voquillas Canyon.

I'm looking on the maps but can't find "Voquillas Canyon".  Have they started drinking already?
Don't worry about getting lost.  You're biodegradable

SHANEA

Did
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 11:49:27 PM »
Quote from: "Daryl"
I'm looking on the maps but can't find "Voquillas Canyon".  Have they started drinking already?

Start drinking?  How about stop drinking.  SFA stands for S-E-X, FUN, ALCOHOL.

Offline Daryl

• Black Bear
    • http://www.mountainlivingland.com
Re: Did
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:21:43 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"

Did you graduate with honors? :lol:  :wink:  :lol:
Don't worry about getting lost.  You're biodegradable

SHANEA

Re: Did
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 12:52:42 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"

Did you graduate with honors? :lol:  :wink:  :lol:

Magma Drunk Laude.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!