Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break 2019 - !!!SPECIAL ALERT!!!

• 7 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Spring Break 2019 - !!!SPECIAL ALERT!!!
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
For Immediate Release...

The United States Bureau of Important Statements has just issued this DIRE WARNING regarding Big Bend National Park for the week of March 10, 2019.  NOTE: this DIRE WARNING is issued at USBS Level 10 (that means you'd better take it like, you know, Seriously?).

Meteorologists, geophysicists, epidemiologists, and other really smart guys employed by the USBS have concluded that the week of March 10, 2019 will be just awful, probably uncomfortable, and possibly life-threatening at Big Bend National Park.  USBS spokespersons George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg have announced a perfect storm of bad meteorology, sad geophysics, and mad epidemiology (not to mention other bad, sad, and mad stuff) for the week of March 10, 2019 for Big Bend National Park.

All this stuff is soooooo baaaaaad that the USBS advises all potential visitors to Big Bend National Park during the week of March 10, 2019 to immediately change plans and go somewhere else (i.e., remain at home, walk the mall, go to Galveston, try Sea World in San Antonio, check the Spring Break madness on South padre, eat at an empty hamburger joint in Austin, or etc.).

Although regretting any changes of plans REQUIRED by this SPECIAL ADVISORY ANNOUNCEMENT, the USBS is pleased to provide this public service with your best interests in mind. 

REPEAT:  avoid Big Bend National Park during the week of March 10, 2019. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: Spring Break 2019 - !!!SPECIAL ALERT!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 04:53:33 AM »
NO! Do not go to Galveston! There is a swarm of man/teen eatting sharks expected at that time with the first ever influx of box jellyfish riding electric eels! Do not go to the Galveston area! But after March 18th, Ill be in the Bend, so the waters will be safe at that time

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:36:14 PM by Txlj »

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:45:32 AM »
On the other hand, the cops wonít be handing out minor-in-possession citations in Garner Park and on the Frio River.  Iím told by the County that we donít need the revenue this year.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 08:14:58 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline backpacker56

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Them's good folks over at the "BS".  Let the simple beware, and stay at the house over Spring Break.
"Ah, sure, I'm a gnawed old bone now, but say, don't you guys think the spirit's gone!"

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »
Iím doing my part to keep The Bend depopulated during Spring Break. Iím going to Bandelier. But DONíT follow me there. Theyíre suffering an outbreak of anthrax in between earthquakes. 

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
Someone is giving us a lot of Special High Intensity Training.  :eusa_whistle:
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
Donít pooh-pooh it.  It might work.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!