Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Star Gazing

• 6 Replies

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
Star Gazing
« on: February 04, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
Looking for your thoughts. Plan on setting up my Meade 8" Newtonian  telescope along Glen Springs Rd or the cliffs along  south end of Old Ore Road. Want to get elevated  land mass in background under time lapsed shutter opening. No motor drive. Yes, stars will look like streaks.  10 Pm to 5 am.
Plan on getting a Zone Camping permit for the area. Scope is to heavy to pack in.
Question: Do you think the park rangers will run me off the side of road.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
Re: Star Gazing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
Yes, you will get run off the road because you would be violating the Backcountry Regulations for Zone camping.

Be at least 0.5 mile and out of sight from any road

But if you reserve a Primitive Roadside Campsite along either of those roads you will be fine. Maybe that's what you were thinking. Zone camping is for backpackers.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
Looking for your thoughts. Plan on setting up my Meade 8" Newtonian  telescope along Glen Springs Rd or the cliffs along  south end of Old Ore Road. Want to get elevated  land mass in background under time lapsed shutter opening. No motor drive. Yes, stars will look like streaks.  10 Pm to 5 am.
Plan on getting a Zone Camping permit for the area. Scope is to heavy to pack in.
Question: Do you think the park rangers will run me off the side of road.

Try PG 4
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
BK, what makes PG 4 your first choice?

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
BK, what makes PG 4 your first choice?

Close to the road and basin, yet Isolated. Easy to set up a heavy scope, surrounding hills, view of the Chisos (albeit with a climb above the campsite). Should be pretty dark too.

Picture below from above the campsite and the second one at the campsite

Nugent Mountain would also be another good choice

The coolest place would be Mariscal Mine, camping at Fresno, but a long drive in and out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:09:53 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
Thanks guys, love pictures showing potential of the area.  I will have to do a little work studying surrounding elevation and make a prioritized list. May not be able to get the site I want next week.

Offline bam.bam

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
But if you reserve a Primitive Roadside Campsite along either of those roads you will be fine. Maybe that's what you were thinking. Zone camping is for backpackers.

Well, I was thinking Zone so that I could drive and pick a good spot in that Zone, walk the distance and setup my "tent-cot" and then hang around the vehicle taking picture with the scope.  I'll try to find an open Prim spot when I get there.  thx

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!