Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Temps end of April

• 5 Replies

Offline nyj

• Jack Rabbit
Temps end of April
« on: April 13, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
Planning a late trip at the end of April to first few days in May. Havenít been during this time. Temps forecasted say 80ís but never trust them.
Will be doing a lot of day hiking, OML, and chilling at camp - plan to set up camp in backcountry desert . Think weíll survive? :eusa_dance:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:32:50 PM by nyj »

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Temps end of April
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »

It will likely be very hot down in the desert.  The desert also has very little shade in most places so even worse that the temps is the exposure.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline nyj

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »

It will likely be very hot down in the desert.  The desert also has very little shade in most places so even worse that the temps is the exposure.

Thatís what I figured. Iíve been twice at end of October and the forecasts show temps very similar, but not sure. I do have a large canopy and figure we wonít be at camp during hot parts. Guess we can stay in Chisos basin if it gets too hot - are the campsites easy to get during this time?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
Guess we can stay in Chisos basin if it gets too hot - are the campsites easy to get during this time?
The last few years seemed to have defined a new reality with regards to campground occupancy. A few years ago my answer would have been "sure, no problem." Now, it's more like it's possible it will fill up before the day's over, but odds are good at finding a spot early in the morning.

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 07:20:39 PM »
 Robbers Roost, Twisted Shoe, Pine Canyon 5 and 4 are all at some elevation and on the East side of the Chisos, I found them comfortable during the warm season. I would take any of those camp sites over camping in the Basin. 

Offline nyj

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
Robbers Roost, Twisted Shoe, Pine Canyon 5 and 4 are all at some elevation and on the East side of the Chisos, I found them comfortable during the warm season. I would take any of those camp sites over camping in the Basin.

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions. Weíll choose one of those spots. I have stayed at rice tank before and enjoyed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!