Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Trail runners vs. hiking shoes

• 28 Replies

Offline JRD

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Trail runners vs. hiking shoes
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »
I know I'm in the minority but I always hike in running shoes, not even trail shoes (Did MDA to the point in them). You don't need extra ankle support unless you have weak ankles. With boots you feel less of the ground. Running shoes have just enough give to help you feel your way, and have excellent grip, cushioning, and ventilation/moisture wicking. They are also lightweight, which makes a difference over a long distance.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but I always hike in running shoes, not even trail shoes (Did MDA to the point in them). You don't need extra ankle support unless you have weak ankles. With boots you feel less of the ground. Running shoes have just enough give to help you feel your way, and have excellent grip, cushioning, and ventilation/moisture wicking. They are also lightweight, which makes a difference over a long distance.
Speaking of lightweight, check out Xero Shoes. Personally, I think my feet are a bit too spoiled and used to cushioning, so I'll stick to trail runners (that and I'm cheap).

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »
Definitely the Altras.  I use HOKAs but pretty much similar shoe.

If you are doing more scrambling/climbing, then not Altras, go with La Sportiva.  More grippy and sole stiffness.

I made the mistake in Yosemite this summer of scrambling the Tuolumne domes in HOKAs and besides the safety issues, they got tore to pieces.

Offline VivaTerlingua

• Coyote
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »
I've worn low top trail shoes for years now.  I don't think high top shoes provide any actual support, they just feel like they do.  Picture wrapping a piece of leather around two 2x4s at a right angle.  How much would that prevent them from moving if you supplied any force at all?   High tops will supply protection against thorns though.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »
New to the group.  I'm planning a backpacking trip in January and was just wondering everyone's thoughts.  For OML, Altra trail runners or go in for some hiking boots/shoes?

Thinking about the OP's question ("January") and comparing it to my own experiences in the Bend. I've encountered sub-freezing temperatures and unexpected snow in the Bend most months between November through March. How does this possibility impact one's choice of footwear?

Ten or so years ago I was on a several-day trip through the Chisos in March with my 5-year-old daughter: temps in the 90's in the Basin, but freezing with snow in Boot Canyon a few days later. I was wearing tennis shoes and hiked out in the rain and snow without incident over the next day or so. My feet were wet and cold and miserable, but no long-lasting problems resulted because I was able to get back to civilization quickly and the temps were never really that low.

Last December I was in the middle of an intended 24-day cross-park float/hike when I got caught in the Deadhorse Mountains by an unexpected winter blizzard that dropped almost a foot of snow. After a hellacious all-day and all-night rainstorm, temps dropped into the mid-teens, the precipitation turned to snow, and it stayed on the ground for 24 hours. I was several days from the end of my hike and at least a couple days from the closest bail-out point.  Though my body was freezing and near hypothermia, my Oboz Bridgers kept my feet dry and safe throughout.

I would love to switch to light approach shoes like the genuinely amazing La Sportiva TX-3, but I just can't wrap my mind around how I'd manage to bull my way through a few days of deep snow and seriously sub-freezing temps in the deep backcountry without losing a toe or two. I think for some seasons and hikes, approach shoes or trail runners may simply not be a reasonable option.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:23:05 PM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
That would be easy; carry plastic bags.  Plastic bags are a regular staple in the big mountains, and when you run across bad conditions, just wrap your feet in them (over the socks) and put your shoes back on.  Problem solved.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
That would be easy; carry plastic bags.  Plastic bags are a regular staple in the big mountains, and when you run across bad conditions, just wrap your feet in them (over the socks) and put your shoes back on.  Problem solved.

I've thought about that. Much like the old VBL socks I used inside my boots back in the 90's in the Rockies during winter.  Now, with trail runners or approach shoes they'd definitely keep the feet dry, but I'm not sure they'd stave off serious conductive cold.  I'm not sure I'd want to spend a day or two or three walking through ankle deep snow in sub-freezing temps with nothing but a thin layer of nylon mesh and a plastic bag between me and the snow.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

I've thought about that. Much like the old VBL socks I used inside my boots back in the 90's in the Rockies during winter.  Now, with trail runners or approach shoes they'd definitely keep the feet dry, but I'm not sure they'd stave off serious conductive cold.  I'm not sure I'd want to spend a day or two or three walking through ankle deep snow in sub-freezing temps with nothing but a thin layer of nylon mesh and a plastic bag between me and the snow.

While I agree with you on not wanting to spend several days that way, you have to admit that the storm you got caught in was unusual for the desert and so if you had plastic bags or goretex socks it would have gotten you out.  Even that snow was gone across most of the park in a day.

If you are going to snowy country on a purpose then yes, wear higher boots, probably with gortex liners and gaiters.  When I do snow hiking I use MId height Keens sized larger to accommodate thicker socks along with insulating insoles and gaiters if the snow will be more than a few inches deep.  There are folks who will wear overboots over their trail runners in the snow, especially if snow shoeing.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
While I agree with you on not wanting to spend several days that way, you have to admit that the storm you got caught in was unusual for the desert and so if you had plastic bags or goretex socks it would have gotten you out.  Even that snow was gone across most of the park in a day.

Fair enough: I admit I've never personally experienced a Big Bend snow that stayed on the ground to any serious degree for more than 36 hours. I suspect the storm last December probably blanketed the bowels of the Deadhorse Mountains for that long. Had I still been in Telephone Canyon and not already in the northern end of Ernst Basin by the time it started snowing, that would have made for a long, long slog out of there in the snow. But possibly one that was tolerable with just waterproof liners over my socks.

You guys may be convincing me.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
I've worn low top trail shoes for years now.  I don't think high top shoes provide any actual support, they just feel like they do.  Picture wrapping a piece of leather around two 2x4s at a right angle.  How much would that prevent them from moving if you supplied any force at all?   High tops will supply protection against thorns though.

A study archived in the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine actually disagrees with your theory

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323436/
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 06:59:12 AM »

A study archived in the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine actually disagrees with your theory

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323436/

I give this study a somewhat lame rating and their conclusion was "high-top shoes may help prevent some ankle sprains".  I think the bigger question on the trail is how strong and conditioned are your feet and ankles.  Most hikers who were low shoes regularly have strong muscles in the lower leg and ankle area from training.  As a kid I used to roll my ankles all the time, I have never rolled an ankle backpacking, I know anecdotal  :P
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Hang10er

• Diamondback
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
I would say what I've mentioned a few times, sometimes it's HOW you hike/walk.  WIth boots, you might go a little faster over rougher terrain with less attention to where you place your feet.  I have boots but started wearing running shoes more.  With the running shoes I am so much more attentive to my foot placement.  It's like the discussion we had on snake guards, if you have them on, are you more likely just to storm through an area more likely to have snakes paying less attention?

HMOD does get me to thinking though, would I still like my trail shoes in the snow or wet weather?  I used to run Spartan races and wore some specialized shoes that had treads that didn't pick up mud, soles that drained water (and pebbles and sand).  You could wade a creek and then run over a mountain in them.  Yes, I wore them for hours not DAYS, so they wouldn't work for snow or extremely wet hiking areas.

Plastic bags?  I think it would save you from snow or wet ground, but you'd probably still soak your foot from the inability to wick away your sweat and moisture. 

I think for Big Bend and other desert environments it's whatever your personal preference is.  I don't think boots are a necessity and personally wear trail shoes.
A wet or snowy area, I would say you have to go with warmer, waterproof boots. 

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 07:51:18 AM »
Switched to trail runners earlier this year.  Pack weight around 30 pounds. No issues and asked myself why I took so long to switch. Hiked about 8 miles a day over 6 days. No blisters. Feet were never “tired”.  As always, watch where you’re placing your foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Switched to trail runners earlier this year.  Pack weight around 30 pounds. No issues and asked myself why I took so long to switch. Hiked about 8 miles a day over 6 days. No blisters. Feet were never “tired”.  As always, watch where you’re placing your foot.

PTC - thanks for that post. We’re almost exactly the same age. We carry about the same weight and hike about the same daily mileage. Your experience in making that transition to trail runners is persuasive and encouraging.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!