Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Weighing gear

• 56 Replies

Offline Keepa

• Coyote
Re: Weighing gear
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
That tyvek rain suit is not a good choice You will have to have to remove your backpack and shoes each time it rains AND remove it each time the rain stops. It just doesn't work in real terms.

I would not buy that Tyvek model, I would be this one: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23900&catid=778

Offline roadtrip

• Coyote
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
Does anyone here use a cut down beer can or a tin can for a cooking pot?
I noticed in Wrangler88's OML video he used a foster's can to boil water, that's where I got the idea from.
I researched it, lot's of you tube stuff out there on beer can pots,some simple, some really complex (to me anyway)
This led to tin cans like green beans etc come in.
All I need it for is to boil water.
I'll eventually buy a titanium pot, but not for this upcoming trip, too little time and budget.
My main question about the beer can is what to do with the top edge to keep from getting sliced. probably just cut some small slits and bend over or back
As for tin cans, it's about contamination from ABA chemicals or galvanizing. (Can't be any worse than the chemicals I ingested back in the '70's)
Thanks.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
I would think it will be quite the task to keep that thing from getting smushed while inside your pack. 

If you need something that's cheap and would work without the chance to give a pint of blood, look at small stainless dog bowls.  Cheap and Light.  HEB or Walmart probably have something like this.  https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-feeding-supplies/dog-bowls/harmony-stainless-steel-dog-bowl-insert

Interesting idea on using a beer can though.  How does one go about picking it up when it is hot?  I guess it would be the same problem with the dog bowl too.
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline roadtrip

• Coyote
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »
I would think it will be quite the task to keep that thing from getting smushed while inside your pack. 

If you need something that's cheap and would work without the chance to give a pint of blood, look at small stainless dog bowls.  Cheap and Light.  HEB or Walmart probably have something like this.  https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/dog/dog-feeding-supplies/dog-bowls/harmony-stainless-steel-dog-bowl-insert

Interesting idea on using a beer can though.  How does one go about picking it up when it is hot?  I guess it would be the same problem with the dog bowl too.
Pet bowls, genius. Don't let REI see that or they'll sell 'em as backpacking pots for $40.
Yeah keeping it from being crushed was another concern I had. Maybe stuffing it with spare socks. Some sites suggested keeping it in a caddy, there goes your weight savings. Not sure what a caddy is anyway, some kind of container probably.
As for picking it up, in the video where wrangler88 was using it, he just picked it up from the top part of the can with his hand. It was not completely full, maybe the heat didn't travel up the can.  Some sites used silicone wrist bands. Again, not familiar with those. A lot of the videos start out with a can, then add $20 worth of stuff and labor to tweak 'em. In wrangler88's video he just hand one dern can.
For tin cans I've seen em with a small hole on either side of the tip with a loop of wire for the handle.

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »

Pet bowls, genius. Don't let REI see that or they'll sell 'em as backpacking pots for $40.
Yeah keeping it from being crushed was another concern I had. Maybe stuffing it with spare socks. Some sites suggested keeping it in a caddy, there goes your weight savings. Not sure what a caddy is anyway, some kind of container probably.
As for picking it up, in the video where wrangler88 was using it, he just picked it up from the top part of the can with his hand. It was not completely full, maybe the heat didn't travel up the can.  Some sites used silicone wrist bands. Again, not familiar with those. A lot of the videos start out with a can, then add $20 worth of stuff and labor to tweak 'em. In wrangler88's video he just hand one dern can.
For tin cans I've seen em with a small hole on either side of the tip with a loop of wire for the handle.
You ought to be able to find something cheap, light, and usable at Academy or Walmart. They sell stainless steel bowls that are pretty light and nearly indestructible, like ones we used in Scouts. Also, they have tall metal cups with folding handles that hold a pint, which would also work. Here's a couple examples:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gsi-outdoors-glacier-stainless-steel-bottle-cup-and-pot#repChildCatSku=026853135
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gsi-outdoors-bugaboo-cup-with-folding-handles#repChildCatid=6055501

-Flash

Offline Reece

• Black Bear
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
Dollar Store small aluminum pot with handle.
Been using mine for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »
I think a green bean can would be sturdier than a beer can.

Don't remember where I purchased it (many moons ago), but I use a blue enamelware pot with a lid.  Sits inside my bowl, and my stove and cup sit inside it.  All of that fits inside a mesh sack. I use a MSR PanHandler pot lifter that I bought at REI, but Cabela's sells a cheaper version, the Ascend Aluminum Pot Gripper.

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 12:42:39 AM »
I've had one of my fosters cans, the one I just used on the GRT, for 10 or 12 years. Still going strong. That one is wrapped in the wind screen and that helps. The one in the OML video I got from Zelph online. He quit selling them and sent me that one for free. It has ridges that he built into it and that gives it way more crush resistance. I've had both stoves for a long time and have never even gotten a dent in them. I put them toward the top of my pack. Love using them for just boiling water.

As for how to pick them up, I use a paper towel or something like that. If I'm drinking coffee I'll let the wind screen cool off for a minute and then it works as a buffer and I'm able to drink coffee out of it (using a neoprene lip guard).

Offline roadtrip

• Coyote
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
I've had one of my fosters cans, the one I just used on the GRT, for 10 or 12 years. Still going strong. That one is wrapped in the wind screen and that helps. The one in the OML video I got from Zelph online. He quit selling them and sent me that one for free. It has ridges that he built into it and that gives it way more crush resistance. I've had both stoves for a long time and have never even gotten a dent in them. I put them toward the top of my pack. Love using them for just boiling water.

As for how to pick them up, I use a paper towel or something like that. If I'm drinking coffee I'll let the wind screen cool off for a minute and then it works as a buffer and I'm able to drink coffee out of it (using a neoprene lip guard).
Thanks Wrangler88. Is your windscreen home made?

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
https://backpackinglight.com/ultralight_outfitters_ultralight_beercan_cook_pot_stove_orsm05/
This is the original setup I have. It isn't sold anymore. This is what I took on the GRT. The use of the stove is shown in a recent making coffee video I did on my YouTube channel.

I also have a windscreen that I made out of titanium foil. I bought it from tigoat here:
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »
TITANIUM FOIL!   Where the heck has this stuff been all my life?  Throw in a roll of Aluminum duct tape, and I could have built that spaceship I always wanted to build.  Dang!  Born just a little too early.

I can already tell, this is going to keep me up at night.
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline wrangler88

• Coyote
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 05:37:02 AM »
TITANIUM FOIL!   Where the heck has this stuff been all my life?  Throw in a roll of Aluminum duct tape, and I could have built that spaceship I always wanted to build.  Dang!  Born just a little too early.

I can already tell, this is going to keep me up at night.

Yeah it is kind of goofy but it was fun and easy to mess with. Can be cut with normal household scissors. Here is a video of a 2oz stove/pot/windscreen setup I made. The windscreen is shown around the 2 minute mark.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!