Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

What are you doing RIGHT NOW to get ready for Big Bend Backpacking Season?

• 27 Replies

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW to get ready for Big Bend Backpacking Season?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
Hiking the OML with my youngest son and his father-in-law in November.  It will be my son's first hike and first trip to BiBe. This will be our 1st OML hike.

We've planned warm up day hikes which began last Sunday with a 5 mile hike and low pack weight.  We have several other day hikes planned increasing the mileage and the pack weight.  Will do two overnight hikes with full packs before we go.  Checking gear to make sure we have what we need and that everything is in working order.  My goal is to get my pack weight down to no more than 30 pounds including water.  That seems very ambitious to me. Reading all he OML posts here at Big Bend Chat so that we know what we're doing.  Studying the map.  Identyfying the locations of the springs, etc.

Pesonally I'm getting in shape by riding a Peloton bike: 3 power rides, 2 endurance rides, and one HIIT ride per week.  Walking several times a week after work with a light pack for 2 to 4 miles.  I need to incoroporate some strength training into this.  I do stretch daily to keep the kinks out.  Had my left hip replaced last fall so keeping the kinks out is important as I really notice the "old" hip now!  The new hip is fantastic!

I need a recommendation for a water filter.  All I have now is a Steripen and I don't think that will be sufficient.

Really looking forward to this and will follow this trip up with another visit to BiBe in December or February hopefully to a trail I've not tried before.

Offline horns93

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
I have a Corus. I love it.

Right now I am mulling over a 6- or 7-night return for a Quemada Loop.  I'd love an extended hike with only myself for my 50th. I am considering a new pack; I think I want an Osprey Exos 58 for trips that I do not have to haul camp for 3 - Osprey's AG system is tops.

I went with the Corus too. I'm just waiting on Amazon to deliver.

I've used the Exos 48 for the past year and really like it. I can pack a week's worth of gear with a total pack weight of just under 20 lbs, not including food and water.

Offline horns93

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »

I need a recommendation for a water filter.  All I have now is a Steripen and I don't think that will be sufficient.

Really looking forward to this and will follow this trip up with another visit to BiBe in December or February hopefully to a trail I've not tried before.

I've used the Sawyer Mini with great success. It's inexpensive and lightweight. You can use it to drink straight from the source or collect using the Sawyer pouch and filtering that way. I definitely recommend buying a 64 oz pouch or two instead of using the 16 oz that comes with it.

Offline Jalco

• Black Bear
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »

I've used the Sawyer Mini with great success. It's inexpensive and lightweight. You can use it to drink straight from the source or collect using the Sawyer pouch and filtering that way. I definitely recommend buying a 64 oz pouch or two instead of using the 16 oz that comes with it.

I have the Platypus Gravity Works, a bag system, that we used on the ERL last year.  I agree with buying the larger bag to save trips to the stream. 
I also have the Sawyer Squeeze system, which comes with a filter and two "soft" bottles (Platypus type).  You screw the filter onto the bottle and drink straight from it.  Also has a tube that allows you to drink straight from the source.  On solo trips this is probably what I'll be using.

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
Thank you both for the filter recommendations!

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
Hiking the OML with my youngest son and his father-in-law in November.  It will be my son's first hike and first trip to BiBe. This will be our 1st OML hike........

.....I need a recommendation for a water filter.  All I have now is a Steripen and I don't think that will be sufficient.

First of all, kudos for wanting to filter water and not just depend upon caching/carrying it all. I've never cached water for any of the several OML's I've done. I've always found plenty of water in the natural sources (Boot Canyon, Upper Juniper Spring, Dodson and Adler Springs and others south of that, and of course, Fresno Creek).  I love pulling my water from the landscape instead of bringing it in from 'civilization'.  Very satisfying.

Personally, PTC, I think the Steripen would do you just fine as long as you have good batteries.  It's fast and effective. Other than Dodson Spring, the sources are usually clear and clean. Sometimes in a dry spell, the pools in Boot Canyon can get a little scummy, but using a bandanna as a prefilter can work wonders. I usually just pill my water, so I don't actually use a Steripen, but I've always been impressed by them when I see them in use. I do, however, often carry a Sawyer Mini which others have mentioned. It's fantastic. Weighs almost nothing; doesn't take up much space. You can use it as a squeeze filter with almost any standard small-mouth bladder (e.g., Platypus, etc.) or you can use it as a stand-alone filter, which is how I use it. One trick that I've found handy is to bring along a 4- or 5- or 6-foot length of lightweight tubing which you can attach to the input of the Mini. That way, you can take advantage of any little pothole or spring you find along the way without even taking off your pack or stooping down. Just connect the filter to the tubing, drop the tubing into the water, and drink while standing. This has worked great for me. And with the long tubing, I've been able to access surprisingly large pools of mostly hidden water tucked deep down inside cracks of rock where the sun can't evaporate it.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline PacingTheCage

• Coyote
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing that recommendation.  I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
One trick that I've found handy is to bring along a 4- or 5- or 6-foot length of lightweight tubing which you can attach to the input of the Mini. That way, you can take advantage of any little pothole or spring you find along the way without even taking off your pack or stooping down. Just connect the filter to the tubing, drop the tubing into the water, and drink while standing. This has worked great for me. And with the long tubing, I've been able to access surprisingly large pools of mostly hidden water tucked deep down inside cracks of rock where the sun can't evaporate it

That is one high-quality pro tip.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:16 AM »
One trick that I've found handy is to bring along a 4- or 5- or 6-foot length of lightweight tubing which you can attach to the input of the Mini. That way, you can take advantage of any little pothole or spring you find along the way without even taking off your pack or stooping down. Just connect the filter to the tubing, drop the tubing into the water, and drink while standing. This has worked great for me. And with the long tubing, I've been able to access surprisingly large pools of mostly hidden water tucked deep down inside cracks of rock where the sun can't evaporate it

That is one high-quality pro tip.

Thanks, dprather!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
I dig the Sawyer Mini and I use them.  I do miss the greater powers of the old pump filters.  We were 6 days on the trail when we reached SW4 last April and I had to rely on run-off pools along the upper part of Boot Canyon trail.  The water was basically tea, tasting and reflecting the color of the dry grass around even after filtered.  It tasted somewhat like jasmine tea.  I did not know West Texas Fescue made such good tea! No one got sick and it paired well with a lemon-lime gatorade packet.

Untitled by Superhomer670, on Flickr
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
I dig the Sawyer Mini and I use them.  I do miss the greater powers of the old pump filters.  We were 6 days on the trail when we reached SW4 last April and I had to rely on run-off pools along the upper part of Boot Canyon trail.  The water was basically tea, tasting and reflecting the color of the dry grass around even after filtered.  It tasted somewhat like jasmine tea.  I did not know West Texas Fescue made such good tea! No one got sick and it paired well with a lemon-lime gatorade packet.

Untitled by Superhomer670, on Flickr

Hahahaha! Rock on, Homer67.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
Well, I've just finished Twin Peaks: The Return.  I don't know how, but that HAD to have prepared me in some way. 

Sent from the future.

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
I will usually engage in some movie prep for my adventures. I like Barbarosa, since some filmed in Big Bend, Avatar and The Big Lebowski. Lonesome Dove is a good one too.
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!